Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Rangefinders

Old 07-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Rangefinders

OK, I don't want to sound like a Leica sales person, but here are some differences that make the Leica products top of the line, and I'm a fan of great products.

- the new CRFs are waterproof, the LRFs aren't. (remember German standards are very high, water resistant in Germany is waterproof in Japan)

- Leica has the most accurate laser (short or long range). This is due to three things. 1. smallest beam divergence = less eratic laser dispertion and more consistent; 2. smallest beam diameter = less interference; 3. horizontal beam, not vertical = catches less grass & ground cover

- pulsating laser beam technologie eliminates any needs for rain/fog modes, because water particles won't interfere with the beam

- automatic adjusting red LED display makes for much easier readout in low-light (plus LED doesn't drain the battery like LCD does, nor will it freeze)
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MTGriz

OK, I don't want to sound like a Leica sales person, but here are some differences that make the Leica products top of the line, and I'm a fan of great products.

- the new CRFs are waterproof, the LRFs aren't. (remember German standards are very high, water resistant in Germany is waterproof in Japan)

- Leica has the most accurate laser (short or long range). This is due to three things. 1. smallest beam divergence = less eratic laser dispertion and more consistent; 2. smallest beam diameter = less interference; 3. horizontal beam, not vertical = catches less grass & ground cover

- pulsating laser beam technologie eliminates any needs for rain/fog modes, because water particles won't interfere with the beam

- automatic adjusting red LED display makes for much easier readout in low-light (plus LED doesn't drain the battery like LCD does, nor will it freeze)
Allright, Iam sold. Once I get the $ rounded up I'll go purchase a Leica 900 crf. That's what I figured I'd buy but just wanted a little more confirmation.

Thanks Guys for all the help!

TT
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 AM

TT,
let me know what you think once you have them. i've thought about upgrading my nikon 440, but can't justify the price difference when all i use it for is bow hunting. it would be nice to have both of them side by side to compare the low light ability.
arch
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 AM

Totally agree with all the above concerning the positives for the Leica 1200.I, as usual, bought mine just before the scan models came out, but other than just wanting the latest and greatest, have nothing but praise for the Leica. The only comparison with the Leica's that I have is compared to Bushnells. Probably not very fair, but I started with a Bushnell Legend, and the rangefinding capability of this unit does not even remotely compare with the Leica. Have not owned any other rangefinders, and after seeing the quality of the Leica, see no reason to.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Arch, I am a diehard bowhunter, but also dabble with single shots during firearm season...... Clarity of the Leica's is like no other, I love when people mention light gathering capabilities.... I own a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 (1st laser range finder to come out), then proceeded to buy my father a Leica LRF900, after using it in the field I purchased the LRF700 PM. Before purchasing my own, I asked to use my friends Nikon and anothers Swaro..... Both great but, the Nikon, like the Bushnell has an aiming problem when you are facing toward the sun, the LCD aimpoint sort of fades and that was an issue with me because I have some morning stands which face to the east....

As for light gathering capabilities, you can pretty much use these things when it is almost pitch black out, I really don't know if there is such a thing as more light capable w/out being night vision... Its like saying something is more dead, than another. In my book dead is dead. I would even say that they bring in more light than my 40mm obj. lensed scopes...

The only reason I chose the Leica over the Swaro, was price. The Swaro was a bit more then i wanted to spend.... But I did love the Swaro!!!

Being a bowhunter, your Nikon 400 may be all you need, once you range some landmarks, thats all you need..... I just like to look at things a ways off to determine whether or not a buck in the distance is a shooter or not.