Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

parallax

Old 02-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Default parallax

Just got a new red dot scope. It says it has a 100 yrd parallax setting.
What exactly does this refer to?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: parallax

im sure there is a more technical explaination but it means the scope is set up with its point of hit and its cross hair or red dot to be optimum for that range. it doesnt mean that it cant shoot farther or shorter ranges. just optimized for that point of aim. 100 yards seems a bit much for a red dot but im no expert. if your shots are in that range than your good. for muzzleloader or shotgun 75 is my favorite.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little more in depth... Parallax is a condition that occurs when the target image is not focused precisely on the reticle plane. It appears as movement between the reticle and the target when the shooter moves his head. Manufacturers usually pre-set most optics to be parallax free at certain yardages. Many shotgun / ML scopes are typically factory-set for either 50, 75 or now, even 100 yards. Most rimfire scopes are set for 50 (usually). Centerfire scopes under 12X or so are typically set for 100 yards. Higher powered variables often come with Adjustable Objectives (A.O.) that the shooter can change depending upon conditions and yardages. For most typical big game hunting situations, 100 yard parallax free settings are fine. Many "experts" advise against A.O. scopes for regular hunting. They seem best suited for target shooting or varmints where adjusting time is less critical.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:55 AM

Um I was under the impression parallax was not an issue with red dot scopes becase there is no magnification.

I think there are only two lenses in them. One in the front and one in the back with a light being projected on the one in the front. So there is no parallax to correct at any distances. One of thier advantages I always thought.

Paul
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

most red dot sights have parallax, do an easy test, lay your sight on a sturdy table turn it on and look thru it. line up the red dot with a distant target, now, move your head about so it appears as if the red dot is moving around with in the sight. if the red dot moves off of your initial target, your experiancing parallax. therefore, in order for your sight to be accurate 100% of the time you must always center the red dot within the sight. Aimpoint red dots are parallax free, doing the same test above with an aimpoint, the red dot always stays on the initial target, no centering of the red dot is required, whatever the dot is on you will shoot regardless of where the dot is in the sight tube. the aimpoints are a little spendy $250-$500 but they are well worth it, i have an aimpoint 9000sc on my 870 slug gun and i love it, they are built like a tank. also the new circuity in the aimpoints allow for 54,000 hours run time on one battery NO LIE!! so basically you can leave it on for 4 years. check out their websight www.aimpoint.com
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 AM

I wasn't sure what that meant myself. Thanks for explaining.