Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Nikon Monarch VS. Weaver Grand slam

Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nikon Monarch VS. Weaver Grand slam

Thoughts on the higher power models 15-20X which is better, any comments or suggestions? Thx!!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nikon Monarch VS. Weaver Grand slam

I would go with Nikon over a Weaver. The Monarch is a fine scope.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I would go with Nikon over a Weaver. The Monarch is a fine scope.
Could you elaborate?

I have the Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 and find it has excellent optics...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Trailer...does yours have numbers on the objective? And how do you find the clarity at full power? ThX
Old 02-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The obj. lens is adjustable and the numbers are located on the rids of the rubber ring. The Grand Slam is one of the best scope I have and I do have a number of different ones. I had the opportunity of making a side by side comparison between my scopes set at 6 x one evening and found the clarity of the Grand Slam to be crisp and clear and at low light. This scope was equal to my Nikon Gold but not quite up to par to my Swarovskis. Before setting this scope on my Remington VLS I was using it as a spotting scope at the range and worked very well. The Grand Slam is well underrated and I’m not sure why but I’m looking at getting another one in the 3-10 x 40 mm very soon. If you have a chance take a look at one before pushing it aside because of it's name. Good luck...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you should check on if you shoot left handed, is the location of the numbers for the obj. lens. I think there located on the right side and might be a pain for shooting. I’m not sure if other scope are designed like this but I will look at my scope this evening to confirm this...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

no worries...I'm a righty. I'm going to look at one this week, I only wish I had the Nikon to do a side by side comparison. How would you rate it in comparison to a Leupold VXII? I got a .223 and I want a decent 15-20X scope for a reasonable price. Thx!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m not sure how the Grand Slam would rate to the Leupold VX II but I have a Leupold Euro 3-9 x 50 mm and would have to say the Weaver out performs my Leupold. The Grand Slam is noticeably clearer then my Leupold... The Weaver Grand Slam 4-14 x 40 mm would work well for your 223. I just wish you could have the Nikon to make a comparison for your self. I have nothing negative to say about Nikon scopes because I really like my Nikon Gold for hunting heavy cover in low light conditions. Either one should work well...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

A correction on my previous post . The adjustment for the obj. lens is located on the left hand side of the scope...
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several nikons and I have compared them to just about every brand out there(in the field- dusk to dawn) ,I have some very rich hunting buddies who think they have to try new scopes every year. Anyway they always come to me and ask is this better then yours, so we do the dawn and dusk thing ,the long range thing ,the can you read this at this yardage thing , and so far none have beat my monarchs. That line up has no scope below 300.00 so that will put you on what range of scopes they are buying.No none have had a weaver grand slam but just about every thing else.I will stick to my nikons.

Quick Reply: Nikon Monarch VS. Weaver Grand slam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.