Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Weaver K4 vs Nikon Buckmaster or Prostaff

Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Weaver K4 vs Nikon Buckmaster or Prostaff

I won a muzzleloader last year. It cost me two bucks for a tear off ticket. Not too shabby.

I wish that it has a Thompson Encore with the walnut stock and blued barrel. Beautiful gun! Mine is a .50 caliber CVA Wolf with a black composite stock and a blued barrel.

I shoot 90 grains of Pyrodex Select under a 300 grain Hornady XTP .45 caliber jacketed hollowpoint in a Havester Crush Rib sabot.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a four-power fixed scope. I'm not interested in a variable. I hunt deer in woods and fields. Shots will most likely be no greater than 100 to 120 yards.

"Moderately priced." I don't want the Wal*Mart special for $49 or $69, but I would like to keep the price of the scope (not counting the mount and rings) under $200.

I'm interested in the Weaver K4, the Nikon Buckmaster, and the Nikon Prostaff, all in a 4X fixed.

I've read that at around $109, the Nikon Prostaff is a pretty decent scope. Obviously, the Buckmaster would be of a higher quality for only about sixty bucks more ($169).

My question is how does the Weaver K4 compare with both the Nikon Prostaff and the Nikon Buckmaster.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weaver K4 vs Nikon Buckmaster or Prostaff

I just bought a Nikon Pro Staff last week, 2x7x32 for $125. All I can say is it is one nice scope. I also hunt wooded and fields. I wouldn't rule out a variable power....
Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 PM

I also think you should consider the 2x-7x 32 Pro Staff. It is a really good scope for the money. Holds Zero and clear for the $.2x really helps in the thick stuff. 7x great for targets.

I am not sure but isnt the prostaff a 4x32 and the buckmaster a 4x40?
If you are set on a fixed 4x go 40mm without a doubt.

Ihave heard great things about the weaver k4 but can not comment for lack of personal experience.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I won't rule out a variable, but I would rather have the simplicity of a fixed scope.

I've got an inexpensive 3-9 Tasco on my Ruger 10/22. I can get a good sight picture when the scope is set anywhere from 3-5 or maybe 3-6 power. Above that, I have to really move my head around to try to find the ideal spot.

I'm certain that a higher quality, more expensive variable scope would have an eye relief that isn't as critical asmy cheap Tasco's.

I feel that if I buy aquality four power fixed, I will be able to look through the scople and quickly find my target when hunting.

When I bought my first 35 mm camera I purchased a 28-80mm zoom lens then a 70-200 mm zoom. I found that I was messing around with the zoom too much. I later purchased a used "fixed" lens, a 50mm f 1.4 at a local camera shop.

My pictures really starting turning out better. The fixed lens had better glass than my zooms.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 AM

I third the Prostaff for affordability and quality with no bells or whistles though.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both a prostaff and a buckmaster absolutely no complaints with either. I have the same ml. I decided to go with truglo ghost ring sights with fiber optic inserts. BTW I'm shooting 130 gr of Pyrodex with 250 gr SST's, for woods ranges I don't think you can beat that setup. All my buddies that have shot it love it.