Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Riflescopes - $100 vs. $200 vs. $400???

Old 12-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Riflescopes - $100 vs. $200 vs. $400???

I'll start by saying; I realize that you get what you pay for.
But I can't be the only one on here who needs to be conscious of price.
In my 30+ years of hunting I have used everything from Tasco and Simmons to Leupold and a few in between and in all cases the end result was an animal that did not leave the woods under it's own power.
Obviously there is a big difference in optics/light transmission/warranties/etc.between a $35 scope and a $1000.00 scope. And we would all love to say, "Give me the best you've got", but I myself can't afford to say that.
OK, so my question:
I'm just curious at what point (read price range)would the average hunter, who makes it out a few times a year (plus range time) be unable to noticethe improvement in their optics?
I personally have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 on my 7mag that I love. But I don't know that I personally can seethe difference in optics claritywhen compared to my old Burris Sportview (field of view and light transmissionaside) or my friends Leupold (model???). But I can definitely tell a diffence between that and a Tasco that I had rolling around in a drawer.
Would a Bushnell Trophy, Nikon Prostaff, Sightron SI (I'm not sure if these are actually all "equal" but you get the idea) be the levelabove which I would have a difficult time realizingthe improvement for all practical purposes?
Or would there be a noticeable difference if I went to a Nikon Buckmaster or a Burris FullField, etc.?
And if that is the case, would a BurrisElite, or a Nikon Monarch be that much "better"?
I just can't justify the extra $200 or $300+ for an item that will, for all intents and purposes, do the same thing. I'm not sniping here, nothing is going to shoot back at me. Nor have I ever needed to pull the trigger on an animal over 400 yards away. I know my limitations and level of proficiency, and in my hands that would not be an ethical shot.
But with this said if I'm going to be happier in the long run because I did spend a little extra, then I am willing to do it.
Hopefully someday I'll be able to afforda $500+ scope and not have to worry it, but for now I need a "decent" scope, for moderate ranges (a couple of hundred yards) that isn't going to break the bank. And I'm sure there are other hunters out here that need to chose between feeding their families or putting a better scope on their rifle.
Sorry for being so long winded but I know there are those who look down on those of us that don't buy the best..."never skimp on your optics".

Bob
The Frugal Hunter

Old 12-17-2006, 05:53 PM

Default RE: Riflescopes - $100 vs. $200 vs. $400???

I agree to an extent.
Ifa shootercan afford to wait a few months to save up an extra hundred or two,they should
I have seen a Simmons Pro44 lose zero only sitting in a gun case.
The only $100 range scopes I would consider are the Bushnell Legend and Nikon Pro Staff which both are really good cosidering the cost.
The Burris Fullfield IIAnd Nikon Monarch 4x40 or 6x42 for about $200-225. I think is best overall value.
And any #of Leupolds, Burris's, and the extremly nice Zeiss Conquest(less than [email protected])are your best overall dependable/clear for the cost.
After that I don't think the average hunter benefits any either.
But if you only hunt a few times a year you dont want to mar the few times with cheap optics."Don't skimp on optics"
Do reasearch and find the best scope you can afford.

Also try goingto a good gun shop after dark and ask to check outside with a few scopes you can afford.
Anybody will be able to tell the difference in optical clarity and light transmissionby peering through them.

My opinion.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had at least my share, or more of scope failures! And I am not really hard on scopes! I have had 2 Tasco's fail. (one failed, they replaced it and the replacement failed) I was THROUGH with 100.00 range scopes!
I got a Simmons Aetec, it lasted 5 years and this year it failed!
I thought exactly like you are thinking, until the Aetec failed me!
I thought that the Aetec was a great scope, and I am a "frugal" shooter too! SURELY, scopes costing 3, 4, or 5 times more COULD NOT be 3, 4, or 5 times BETTER than mine!
I WAS WWWW.......WRONG!

There are two things that I'll grant you:
1. ANYTHING mecanical, and man-made CAN fail!
2. Most scopes have the clarity, to at least make 100 yard shots in LEGAL light!
That is where comparison between cheap, err frugal scopes, and better scopes end!
Better glass does give you much better clarity, especially in shadowy areas, and the extra clarity DOES help (especially with the eyes getting older!) and DOES cost extra!
Craftsmanship, materials, and QUALITY CONTROL, COSTS MONEY!
That is to me, the big difference in scope costs!
It is what we really CAN'T SEE, that counts!
With better quality scopes you are LESS likely to have a failure!
Having had 3 failures, I hope I don't get a "lemon!"

Finally, being a "frugal" person, is a 1000.00 scope better than a 400.00 scope? I seriously doubt that! But... I've been wrong before!
I DO KNOW that even with "cheaper labor" a 100.00 scope IS NOT the quality (materials alone) of a 400.00 scope!

Old 12-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I recently went through an exstensive search for an inexpensive scope...so I have good experience here.

For <$100, the Pentax Gameseeker can pretty much put you in the game as well as scopes costing $1,000 or more...if you consider that "the game" is being able to shoot all the way to the end of legal shooting hours. The durability is there, too.

I honestly think that if you get about $200 together, you can pretty much hunt with anyone at anytime. Burris FFII, Nikon Buckmasters, Pentax Pioneer, Sightron SI, Bushnell 3200, Weaver Classic V...all these scopes will let you see well beyond legal shooting light...and that's all anyone needs. All these scopes have excellent reputations for durability.

The next level...$200-400...I think is the "Entry Luxury" level and should be where everyone aims to get when they make a purchase. You get Burris Signature Select, Browning Buckmark, Nikon Monarch, Pentax WTU, Sightron SII, Bushnell 4200, Weaver Grand Slam...and even the mighty Zeiss Conquest..in this price class, and a hunter should never want or need for anything if he/she has one of these scopes riding atop their rifle.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

SS,
Again, I once thought as you do! most scopes will let you get a legal shot off! DURABILITY, is the key! How long will it last?

I doubt that there are any studies on scope "life expectancies" but that would be a good thing to know! I did some research on the Chuck Hawks site, and they say that eventually, all things wear out! (we knew that!)
I just wish we could get some numbers on failure rates, and life expectancy! That would be really useful information! That is what we pay for in more expensive scopes, but it is hard to measure!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the input. Knock on wood, I haven't had an outright failure yet...but then it's only a matter of time I'm sure. I definitely didn't plan on a Tasco or Simmons, butI just can'tspend hundreds of dollars either. Since the hunting season is over for this year, I've got some time to save up and I think that's what I'll do. Nonetheless, I'm not going to be able to swing the luxury scopes no matter how long I save.
I intentionally made my initial question very general to hopefully help others besides myself. Now to a more selfish question. The gun I'm trying to mount in a stainless barrel/action .25-06 that will be used for just about everything smaller than elk (I'll keep my 7 mag. for those tasks). It will be primarily a deer and antelope gun with the possibility of an occasional coyote. The kicker is the stainless part. I want a silver finished 3-9 scope so this limits my choices a fair bit. As I mentioned before, I'm very happy with my Prostaff, but am certainly willing to consider other options.
If I stay in the $100-$200 range, what would you all look at? Which of the previously mentioned scopes are available in silver?...The Nikons are the only ones I'm familiar with at this point.
Thanks again for the words of wisdom.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Save yourself a headache and go with either a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40 (at about $265 a very good scope).
Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 PM

Nikon Monarch
Matte scopes look pretty good in stainless rings on SS rifles.

"It is better to have a good used hammer than a cheap new one."

Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

So far, I've used a cheap Bushnell that broke, a Simmons Aetec that still works after 10 years on a .338WM, a Swarovski on another .338WM (great scope), a Leopold VXII (another good quality scope) and a couple of Nightforce scopes (illuminated reticles that require batteries suck). Simmons Aetecs are good scopes for under $200. I know people who have used the 44mag series also with good luck. My VXII cost $275 about 10-12 years ago but it's been a good scope for under $300. The Swarovski is awesome but it had better be for the pricetag ($700 for the American version). I have friends and relatives who have had good luck with Nikon scopes for under $400 and have heard nothing but good about the Bushnell 3200 and 4200 series but those were originally manufactured under another company.

You can find decent scopes for under $200, good scopes for under $400 and awesome scopes for over $400. If a scope costs over $1,000, well, it better have a laser rangefinder or be aweful clear and bright for the 1st 1/2 hour before and after sunset (still legal shooting time in my state). I think the amount of money you spend is obviously dictated by your finances but should also be considered depending upon what type of hunting you're doing. If you're target shooting, varmint hunting, small game or even deer, hogs, etc., I would say go with what you can afford. If you're going on a once in a lifetime hunt (i.e. guided elk, sheep, moose, etc. trip, then you would be wise to save up a few hundred $$ extra so you don't take a chance on a scope going bad. Yes, my $200-$300 scopes have lasted a long time but I don't think I'd risk that on a once in a lifetime hunt. JMHO of course. Hope this helps some.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:20 AM

Bushnell 3200 and 4200 scopes used to be under the Bausch and Lomb brand until bought by bushnell several years ago. They then became the top of the bushnell line.

They have had a lot of good press over the last few years. I believe them to be good quality.

Quick Reply: Riflescopes - $100 vs. $200 vs. $400???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.