Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Riflescopes - $100 vs. $200 vs. $400???

Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Riflescopes - $100 vs. $200 vs. $400???

Well said BC. I am in the same boat. Common fella on a small budget. I currently have 80 bucks saved toward my scope. I am leaning toward another nikon pro-staff. EJ
Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM

This is one of the best questions about rifle scopes that I've seen. I have been researching scopes for my muzzleloader and I've decided that I'm going to get a four power fixed. Probably either a Weaver K4, a Nikon Buckmaster, or a Nikon Pro Staff.

I am not interested in a variable scope. Go into the woods and dial your scope to 4 power. Look at something and see how much you can see. Now crank the scope up to a higher power and see how much your field of vision has shrunk.

If I have to crank the scope up to 9 just to see the deer I can't hit it. If a deer is moving and he's within shooting range I'll never keep him in the scope if I've got it cranked up to 9 power.

I don't want to be messing with the scope when I'm hunting. If I leave it on 4 or 5 power why not simply buy a fixed scope. I was thinking about getting a 6 power fixed but I think that the field of view will be too small in a wooded environment.

I CAN afford a more expensive scope if I want one, but I think that you've got to set a limit on how much you really need. Of course, that is a personal choice and I respect that.

I also realize that you get what you pay for. I received a Cabela's 4-way Gore-Tex, Thinsulate waterfowl wading jacket for Christmas. It's absolutely the wamest hunting coat that I've ever owned. Regular price for the 2X Tall is $269. Last week, I spent $159 ($70 off regular price) for a pair of Rocky Gore-Tex hunting boots with 1000 gram Thinsulate. Fantastic boots. I went deer hunting last November with a pair of uninsulated work boots. My feet got wet while walking into the woods. Even with a good pair of wool blend hunting socks, I found myself doing toe raises to try to get some warmth into my feet.It's a pisser when your feet are cold and wet and it isn't even daylight yet.

I'vewondered just how much difference in quality there is between a "moderately" priced scope and a high priced scope. It's sort of like the GMC truck commercial, "We are professional grade." They are made on the same assembly line as Chevys. Different grill and tail lights.

Sure, there isquite a difference between the $49 dollar Wal*Mart specials and a $169Nikon Buckmaster.

I spent $660 for a pair ofKlipsch KG4 speakers for my stereoway back in 1987. That was considered mid-priced speakers. They sound a lot better than a $79 pair of speakers, but how much betterdoes a $3000 pair of speakers sound? Can you even tell the difference?

I am not interested in the $49 el Cheapo and I am not going to spend over $300 for a scopeplusmounting hardware for a muzzleloader. Why? Because I don't need it.How far am I going to shoot? How far can a muzzleloader ACCURATELY shoot?

I doubt that manyblack powder hunters will shoot at much more than 100 yards. 150 at the most.Most shots are probably taken at less than 50 yards.

Like I mentioned earlier, you get what you pay for. Someone could easily tell me that I was foolish for spending that kind of money for a pair boots. "Why do you need that expensive Cabela's coat?" I would reply, "The boots are comfortable and they keep my feet warm and dry. I've never been cold while wearingmyCabela's hunting coat."

If a guy can only afford $69 for a scope I hope that he enjoys it and has good luck with it.

I understand that you want to have a scope that remains zeroed. A cheap scope may not be the ticket. The question is, how much do you really have to spend to have a "decent" scope? In my case, I think that I can probably get more scope for my money by buying a quality fixed scope.

You are not throwing away your money if you purchase a scope that is well-built and reliable. Ifyoubuy the cheaper scope and it turns out to be a piece of junk, you are the one who has thrown away your money.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Typical Buck

I had a $50.00 simmons on my rifle for about 5 years. The last couple of years I had to resight during the season. Then the variable broke. Still, killed four elk, three deer, and three antelope with it. 5 years--that's how long it took for me to scrape up, and hang on to, enough cash to put a Leuopold on it. Was going to get a VX-II, until I looked through a VX-III and knew that if I was going to put cash out for a lifetime scope that it would be worth the difference. Nikon, Bushnell, etc.... plenty of excellant glass out there. Cheap glass is okay. Buy what you can afford.Only you can determine what to get.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM

well, from what i have been reading your looking for a good scope at a fair price. And if you like nikon and are willing to to go for the extra 18.00 go to www.riflescopes.com and get yourself a Nikon Monach 3x9x40 92% light tranmission and 1 piece tube. for only 218.00 + shipping. That's $100.00 dollars cheaper then midwayusa and i found them to be pretty cheap. You can't beat that for the money !! And we all know it's a matter of dollars and cents.
And take a lookingyou may find other scopes you want at similar savings.. that's just the 1 that I saw....