Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

EOTech 510AA for SRH .44 Mag

Old 12-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Default EOTech 510AA for SRH .44 Mag

Do you have any advice for someone looking at putting an EOTech 510 AA on a pistol for hunting?

I had been looking at 1"Millett, Leupold, Burris, or Bushnell for a red dot to put on my Ruger SRH .44 Mag with the 1" rings that come with the SRH. But I am looking for the best choice to use on moving deer that get spooked up while I am stalking. So...right now I am looking at the EOTech510 AA. Double and triple the price of what I originally was looking at, but I don't want to have to center the dot in the tube while tracking a moving deer...I would be better off sticking with iron sights. From what I have heard and read, EOTech has the best field of view with a low profile. The most attractive part of the EOTech is the bullet goes where the recticle is, even if the recticle is up in the corner of the screen.

I looked athttp://www.eotech-inc.com/lawe_hwsmodels.phpfor info on their models.

I will be mounting this on a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag with pretty stiff handloads using320 gr hard cast lead bullets. So it helps that this scope is up to military specs. I just have to decide on the best way to mount it. I am looking at the B-Squareor Weigand mounts made for the SRH. I like the Weigand, because I could leave the iron sights in place and leave them ready to use if needed by just taking the mount off. http://www.jackweigand.com/
I just don't know how well the .44 mount would hold with stiff handloads (they do make a .480 and .454 model but the rear sightmust be removed). I might decide tojust use 240 gr loads for deer and take the mount off and use the iron sights for the 320 grain loads if I was looking at hunting larger game.

What do you think? I would appreciatehearing anyexperiences or advice.

Thanks,
J
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: EOTech 510AA for SRH .44 Mag

I think all 1x dot sights hit where the dot is, even if off center. This is not an EOTech exclusive. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 PM

I was told only Eotech and certain Aimpoint models provide"Point of Aim"of the dot no matter where in the display. I was told that "tube" reddots must be centered for the bullet to hit POA with best accuracy. Aman that was trying to sell me a Millet tube reddot told me this, so he wasn't using a sales pitch to get me to buy his product. It's actually what kept me from buying that Millet that day and prompted me to research the "dot" products further.

I would love to hear about individual results of a "tube" reddot on a .44 mag revolver shooting centered and also with the dot off to each of the corners at a target 50 yards away. Just to know how much accuracy iseffected.

It's too bad that sports shops aren't likeelectronic stores where you can go in and try out all the options before you buy!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

My $30 BSA seems to not care where the dot is, but I have only used it on a crossbow. MAybe the crossbow isn't accurate enough to tell.