Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope Suggestions

Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope Suggestions

Looking for some suggestions for a new scope to go on my Tikka T3 in .25-06. I have a brand new Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 that I could use but I am not really fond of the eye relief on this scope. I could live with it but I want to try something else. I have Leupold Vari X ii's on my other rifles but I realise that there may bebetter or equalquality glass for less money. So, here are a few questions:

1. Is the Nikon Monarch worth the extra cost versus the Buckmaster series? I noticed that the Buckmaster is made in the Phillipines, is the Monarch made there too?

2.Anyone have any experience with theSightron SII? I looked at one today and it reminded me of a Leupold Vari Xii.

3. Any other ideas? The Leupold VXII price range is about all I want to put into this scope.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Scope Suggestions

I have had three Nikons over the years, but I had never had a Monarch. I have a 3-9x and a 2-7x that were purchased in the early 90's, when Nikon only offered one "grade" of scope. I also have a new Buckmaster 3-9x; it seems to be as nice as the others, but I admit I haven't used it much.

I like my Nikons, but they do not seem to have the generous & forgiving eye relief that the Leupold scopes do. My Nikons are a little more picky about where my eye is. I have no complaints with brightness or clarity with the Nikon scopes I have.

For the money, I think the VX-II is hard to beat. There are many scopes in that price range that are as clear and as bright as the Leupold, but the Leupold's eye relief qualities are their strength.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dan in Alaska

I have had three Nikons over the years, but I had never had a Monarch. I have a 3-9x and a 2-7x that were purchased in the early 90's, when Nikon only offered one "grade" of scope. I also have a new Buckmaster 3-9x; it seems to be as nice as the others, but I admit I haven't used it much.

I like my Nikons, but they do not seem to have the generous & forgiving eye relief that the Leupold scopes do. My Nikons are a little more picky about where my eye is. I have no complaints with brightness or clarity with the Nikon scopes I have.

For the money, I think the VX-II is hard to beat. There are many scopes in that price range that are as clear and as bright as the Leupold, but the Leupold's eye relief qualities are their strength.

That is my major complaintwith the Elite 3200. It is so picky about exactly where my eye is....especially when compared to my Leupolds.For me its not a problem when shooting off a bench but in a hunting situation I'm afraid it might cost me a shot at an animal.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM

I have found that the most forgiving eye relief can be had in the Zeiss Conquest scope. I believe it is 4" constant. Also check out the Sightron S2 which varies from 4.2" to 3.5" depending on power setting. Both seem to be forgiving as to head placement as well.
Plus both are superior to the Bushnell Elite 3200 in regards to optical qulity.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have that very gun and here's what I put on it... Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 x 36 It fits this "size" rifle beautifully, and was deadly for me this fall. You could do alot worse. The Sightron's I've seen were quite nice and would certainly also suffice. Good luck in your selection.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

I have that very gun and here's what I put on it... Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 x 36 It fits this "size" rifle beautifully, and was deadly for me this fall. You could do alot worse. The Sightron's I've seen were quite nice and would certainly also suffice. Good luck in your selection.
I'm probably leaning towards another Leupold, especially since I am happy with all the other Leupold's I have. One a side note, what have you found that shoots well in your gun?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

you might wanna also check out the Pentax. i had never used one or personally known anyone who had, so i took a chance on one. so far i love it, very bright, clear, etc. i have only target shot with it so far. i haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet so i am unsure how well it will do in the field, but so far so good.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Federal Fusions worked well this year. To be real honest, none of the several brands I tested didn't perform satisfactory. I was getting 5/8-1 inch groups with everything. The Win. Ballistic Silvertips shot the best tho. The Tikka seemed to like most everything.