Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Red dots and halo sights

Old 10-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Red dots and halo sights

I am looking to use a red dot or halo sight of some type on a slug gun for black bear hunting next year. I just looked on the Cabelas site and there are a number of both red dots and halo sights, with a few stating durability to stand up to recoil, but most not clear. Price range seems to be from around $40 to around $500, with many in the $80 to $150 range. What can others tell me about durability regarding these types of sights, considering I am looking at using on a slug gun and price compared to durability. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red dots and halo sights

I know lots of people who use red dots on slug guns with no problems and I use one on my 11-87 3 1/2" Turkey gun. Totally amazing on the turkey gun, just put the reticle ( circle) on the birds head and "boom" Turkey dinner!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the el cheapo $40 on my slug gun and it is awesome!!!! I suppose at some point it's going to break but I wasn't sure if i would like it and it literally was only $40 so i wasn't taking much of a risk.

Last year i took 3 shots at an 8 point. first was facing me next to it was running full speed and i nailed him good on all 3 shots (funny it kept going???), all of a sudden i'm more confident w/ my slug gun in any situation then any other gun i have! I've shot several moving deer, all right behing the shoulder. it's better at long ranges then open sites (for me anyway) and better at acquiring a target then a regular scope. it's just the perfect scope for a slug gun!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

i have an ultradot red dot on my 357 and its awesome. LONG battery life, and I think it might last forever. excellent value at $135. I kinda want a holo sight, but they look kinda flimsy to me, anybody got one?