Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

vanes vs. feathers?

Old 05-02-2005, 11:32 AM

Default vanes vs. feathers?

Does anyone know when vanes overtake feathers when considering down range trajectery(sp?)? I've heard that vanes fly flatter after a certain point. What I would like to know is; at what yardage does this transition happen? How does arrow weight and speed play into the equation, if at all? I'm currently shooting feathers and researching the advantages, if any, of switching to vanes. If I do switch, which vanes; high profile, low profile, spin wings, etc. are best, taking into account that I shoot fingers?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Default RE: vanes vs. feathers?

i recently went through this and after shooting both went wiht veins, i belive after 30 yds yoiur aarows start to parashute dramaticly!! if you can get veins to fly go wiht them i shoot 4 inch duravanes wiht a 1 degree offset and they fly awesome!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the input. What prompted you to experiment? Someone say something or did you notice yourself that your arrows were droping off significantly? You shoot fingers also?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:08 AM

yes i was shooting 4 inch feathers, but noticed that my shooting was horrible beyond about 35 yds, my gaps were inconsistent and my aarow just was not carrying like it should be, so i went to 4 inch duravanes although i lost 8 fps off the bat the aarow carried MUCH better after 35yds and in my opinion was more accurate
Old 05-16-2005, 10:36 AM

A guy I shoot with noticed the same about my arrow filght between 30 and 35 yards. That is what prompted me to post this question. Now I'm considering switching to vanes. Not sure which style yet. I'm considering low profile or Spin Wings. Some guys in the bow club I belong to are having nice results with Spin Wings. Have any experience with either of these types of vanes?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:11 AM

yes, they are just as bad if not worse than feathers as far as drag goes, they are like parachutes, i would go with just plain old 4 inch duravanes
Old 05-18-2005, 02:49 PM

Are you sure that is correct about the spin wing vanes? I've never shot them, but isn't that what they shoot with the recurves in the olympics. I wouldn' think they'ed be using them if they didn't give them some sort of an advantage for long distance.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:16 PM

yes your right it is what they shoot in the olympics, the advantage to them is that they create more spin, there for a more stable aarow and better accuracy, in the olympics it is marked yardage, they do not care how fast there bow is as much as some body shooting 3-D does.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the input guys. And thanks for sharing your invaluable knowledge!