Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Question about arrow speed in 3D

Old 10-11-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Question about arrow speed in 3D

At the moment the rule regarding speed is that it is either 5 grains per pound or 280 fps. Will there ever be a rule change that simply states 280 fps only. So irrespective if you are 32 inch draw or 27 inch draw the max speed allowable is 280fps giving everyone an equal chance.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about arrow speed in 3D

Wallaby , I think a straight 280 fps rule would be a great idea. Of course the reason I would like it is because I have a 28'' draw length and only shoot about 58 pounds. I've shot several types of bows and there usually right at 280. It makes a big difference at longer yardages. I shot with a guy at Erie who said his bow was shooting in the 315 fps range and only had one pin on his sight. He claimed he would aim a little high if the target was over 25 yards and a little low under if it was under 25. It must be nice. Oh well, I guess the rest of us will just have to get better at judging distance.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:26 AM

I believe the whole reason behind the 5 grains per inch was to make the arrows heavier for the faster shooting bows, making it fair for the guys who have bows that shoot 280 or less.

Thats why there is no restrictions on the weight of the arrow on the 280 or less bows. It would be almost impossible for everyone to have a bow that shoots that speed due to the fact that there are so many diffrent types of bows and draw lengths.

I have a 26" draw, also pull about 58 pounds and I get right at 300 out of my bow. So I have a heavier arrow than alot of the girls in my group. (FHC). My husband shoots the same exact bow as I do but he has a longer draw length and he gets more speed from his bow. In order for him to get the 280 fps he would have to drop his draw weight down to around 45 - 50 lbs. That would deffinatly take some of the performance out of the bow because its not made to shoot at such a low weight. Its a 60lb bow.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM

This speed thing has been the biggest difference between IBO and ASA for years. If you shoot the right arrows you can get the speed even with the short draw and low poundages. If your bow is not PERFECTLY tuned your arrow flight will be more erratic at the higher speeds however. I keep my bows at around 285 and can shoot both org, just have to check the chrony for the ASA shoots. The difference between 280 and 300 is so slight that you would have to be a machine to tell the difference on an average shot.