Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Hunter Class rules and draw weights

Old 07-18-2003, 01:21 AM

Default Hunter Class rules and draw weights

Hello all,

Kinda new to all this IBO stuff but have been shooting a while now. Just out of curiosity I checked the rules to see if I would fit them with my setup. On the draw weight limits, is there a minimum that your allowed to draw? I only shoot 50# right now as for I' m kind of a small dude. I tried 60# once but it is way too much and I don' t want to overbow myself. Also this grains/per pound stuff. If I read it right it wouldnt apply to me unless I shot over 280f/s ...right? I shoot a 356 grain arrow with 50# @ 211f/s

Can anyone clear this up? Also Can can give me a few suggestions on some different arrows whether I can go up or down in grains to get more speed with my low draw weight? My draw length is 26.5 inches and im shooting with a Hoyt MT sport(2002) 50-60# limbs, length of arrow 27 inches, PSE Dominators.

Thanks In advance.
RobinOfLoxly
Old 07-18-2003, 04:58 AM

Default RE: Hunter Class rules and draw weights

First off, welcome to the IBO and this forum. No there is not a minimum draw weight requirement. With your current setup, you could shoot a 250 grain arrow, at 50# draw weight and be weight legal. Further, if you choose to do so, you could go to less arrow weight yet as long as you did not exceed 280 fps. Please, check your bow manufacturers recommendations before doing this. If you go with too light of an arrow it will act as dryfiring your bow and void warranties and possibly cause personal harm. As it stands now, your arrow is about 106 grains heavy, and the reduction in weight would show significant increase in speed. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:03 PM

[size=2]Hello Again,

Hey thanks fgor the info blujacket. It leads me to another questions though. I know if I gain more speed on my bow it will interferre with my accuracy. I read this somewhere , if the arrow is going to fast and with the arrow flexing like it does through the air ( like skewing) it starts to affect how accurate it is.
Is there some kind of chart or something around for me to look at that could tell me how low on arrow weight I could go before my bow starts to *act * like its dry firing? Someone has to know on here. I read almost every post on here and yall sound just way too good LOL

Thanks again
RobinOfLoxly
Old 07-18-2003, 01:54 PM

Glad to see another new guy getting addicted to shooting 3-d. Just like the rest of us you are wanting to start tinkering with your equipment. I really don' t think anyone makes a bow nowadays that can' t handle shooting 5 grains per pound of draw weight, so that should' nt be a problem. There' s such a huge selection of arrows available today that finding a setup that is properly spined, and is close to 5 grains per pound should be no problem. My first suggestion is that you make sure that you have the draw lenght on your bow set right for you. If your bows draw lenght is too long or short your accuracy will suffer. These are just my thoughts on your question, hope I' ve helped some.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:20 PM

Eastonarchery.com has good tables to help you compare your setup to their suggested arrow selections. Another choice, Archers Advantage has a good program which you can purchase for your computer. This program allows you to enter specific information for your bow and see how various arrow setups would perform. Additionally, you can enter sight marks and print out custom yardage tapes for your bow. I' m sure you can get your arrow weight down to 250 grains safely. This alone will probably pick up at least 30 fps.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 PM

Hello again guys!

Hey my draw legth is 26.5" and it feels really good. Actually my whole setup feels excellent. I went and shot 3-D targets the other night. I haven' t shot my bow in about a year and I feel I did fairly well for hopping back on the wagon. Out of eleven 3-d targets from 20yds to 35 yards I got 6 really good shots and the other 5 i would have had to run after and stab' em with a knife. Some uphill, some down hill , it was a pretty neat range actually.
But like y' all said , yep i wanna start tinkering with my toys. One thing i do need to do is put on a new string ......have any suggestions for strings? I hear those zebra strings are good....any thoughts?

thanks again folks!
RobinOfLoxly
Old 07-19-2003, 09:41 AM

I' d go with a Tiger string instead. Tiger strings will not give you any problems like a Zebra will.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:58 AM

Hey Robin did some research for ya. First off, I noticed that you said your arrows where 27 inches long and that your draw lenght was 26.5. If you don' t have a arrow rest that is a overdraw style you need to get one. You should be able to shoot 24.5 to 25.5 inch arrows with no problem. Here we go, all these arrows were figured at 25 inch arrow length, 50lb draw and your draw lenght. Easton ACC 2L-18 hyperspeeds with rps inserts, 60 grain easton screw-in points, easton G-nock & insert, and bi-delta 4 inch vanes (only weigh 7.9 gr. per inch). The entire arrow will weigh 252 grains and have a F.O.C. of 7.9 %. Second we have the Carbon Express 3D selects or the CX 100s with the rps inserts weighing 12 gr., the Easton 60 gr. screw-in point, their nock at 8 gr., and the 4inch Bi-delta vanes you get a 259gr. arrow with a 7.4% F.O.C. Lastly there is the Carbon Express CXL 150s. These shafts are bigger in diameter than the others I listed (about the size of a 2312 shaft) so they might grab you a few lines, but they weigh a little more. These shafts have a rps insert that weighs 28gr, the nock is 10.3gr, easton 50gr screw-in point, and using the 4 inch Bi-delta vanes you get a arrow that weighs 267gr with a 7.8% F.O.C. Now as far as the string goes I would have to say that the Winners Choice strings are the way to go based on what other people have told me. They use pre-stretched 8125 material. I make my own out of BCY 452 which is a no stretch material ( minus a couple of stands due to being slower than 8125). The Winners Choice strings are pricey though, around $100. Some one else might be able to direct you to someone who makes a similar string cheaper. Lastly, let me steer you toward Lancaster Archery. They have a excellant on-line store and a great technical back-up service, they are great to deal with. Their site is at www.lancasterarchery.com. Hope this helps.[8D][8D][8D]
Old 07-19-2003, 12:35 PM

Hello Again,

OMG dude that is a crapload of info LOL. hahaha so pretty much I have alot of choices on what I can do here. Ok so I can use any of the above arrows so long as I have an overdraw arrow rest. Ok , I went searching for an arrow rest to see what as out there but hell, i dunno what is " right " and what is not. I' m using a plain jane quicktune 800 arrow rest at the monent. When I got my bow I had the dude set me up on everything I need then I bought a few accessories that I wanted. So as far as what I can mix match and tweaking things I can do, I have not a clue. Thats kinda why I came here so gobble up a bunch of info from all you PRO dudes.
I am a member(as of thursday) at an archery range here in Dayton,Ohio. I had Put my bow down and pretty much forgot about for a year due to other things I needed to get done moneterially. Now that I done with that Imma pickin' my bow back up and wanting to see what I can do( tinkering) with this sucker now that I have a real nice chunk of change I can spend on her. In case anyone gets any funky Ideas , Im a Hoyt man , thats all I will shoot. I tried several of the other brands but the Hoyt line I liked the best. I sure would like to have one of the new RazorTec Bows OMG. But aint no sense dropping coin into a new bow when ya don' t know what you can really do with the one ya got.

Ok to sum up.
1) Thanks for all your folks help. I reallly really appreciate it. Thank You.

2) Whats a good overdraw rest to have?

3)On the string Imma go with your type of string Bair. I' ll go to the shop soon and have one put on(if I can order them). I' m still shooting on the same string that came with the bow and dont really feel comfortable shooting it because of that fact.

4)Please explain what the shaft size # means 2312? whats the diameter in inches?

5)If ya don' t mind imma keep asking questions. If someone else like me comes along it might just help them out.

Thanks a million,
RobinOfLoxly
Old 07-19-2003, 01:20 PM
vb

Where in Dayton?
The best range available was in Bellbrook, The parks have colsed it down....[:@]
The Sugarcreek archers maintained the park for free, for the parks service ect..
Kent Steinke and Ryan Harris(Triple crown champions were shooters there)
See previous posts for details on how you can HELP!

Quick Reply: Hunter Class rules and draw weights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.