Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

IBO State Shoots

Old 06-26-2003, 08:27 AM

Default RE: IBO State Shoots

Blue,
Thanks for the info on targets/cost per shot stuff.

About the membership discussion, I am an IBO member and expect I' ll remain one for some time to come. However, we have to keep in mind how many organizations there are that make similar claims as the IBO regarding their importance to archery and hunting.
In my state there are at least 5 state organizations, a couple local groups/clubs and probably 10 (or more) national organizations. All of these believe everyone should be a member of their group.
There are times when I' m hit up so much to join different organizations I think about dumping all of them. For example, there are two local clubs that I have joined - one I' m active in and the other I simply considered my membership a donation. To join one of these clubs, I was also required to join the state archery association and there is a possibility that I may have to join a national association. To join the other club, I had to join the NRA. Archery isn' t the only thing in my life either. There are professional organizations and other sports that require memberships as well.
Simply put, I am " required" to join more organizations than I am able to keep up with, and for some people it comes down to economics. That is what I like about the IBO - nobody is forcing me to join. It is for that reason that I am willing to encourage people to join.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:57 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

If a person showed up to an IBO State Championship as an IBO member, shot the round, won the " title" , and was in reality outshot my a non-member...wouldn' t that be a pretty hollow title to claim?

You didn' t outscore every other participant in your class, so what did you really win?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-26-2003, 03:30 PM

JRW,
No, it wouldn' t bother me as long as the rest of the competitors were adequate. Life is too short to over analyze everything, especially your successes. Too much emphasis is placed on winning in one way or another in our society. Winning and losing isn' t as much of an important to me as is competing - I' m as competative a person as you can find. The thrill of competing lasts much longer than that of simply winning for me.
In the situation you described, the person who finished first beat all who chose to compete against him. That' s it, plain and simple. If another person chose not compete and had a higher score, well too bad for them.
If I were in the other side of the situation and outscored someone in an event in which I chose not participate, I would never make the claim that I should have won. Clearly I could have, but I didn' t and trying to claim otherwise is fruitless.
Things are going to far when someone feels guilty for winning a tournament because someone else chose not to compete. The victory would only be hollow if you let it be hollow.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:02 PM

Here is one for all to think about. If no one cares if you need to be a IBO member to claim a title that is put on by IBO club, as stated in the first comments, WHY JOIN IBO!! It' s not the fact about winning it' s per the rules!!
Old 06-26-2003, 09:17 PM

JRW,
Your point regarding not beating all entrants and yet accepting the champion title is not without merit. However, Those individuals who pay their membership to the organization, pay the entrance fee for the event and shoot their best during the event have done everything within their power to meet all expectations for the event. IMO they should except that championship and not think twice. Anyone who wishes to side step any of these expectations would be the party needing personal review. Again, IMO, excepting titles, recognition, or prizes from an organization which you are not personally willing to support would leave me with that " Hollow" feeling.

Old 06-27-2003, 05:02 AM

Yes I agree with what you say. NOTE, the results had nothing to do with any shoot that I was in, but was the end result of some one else. The question was directed toward me that after driving three to four hrs, paying their dues and then having someone local and not even an IBO member was not setting to well with this person. This question was not able to be answer by the host club, but was put out to every one to find out what you have to say, Thanks to all.

Well on the subject of thanks, there is one person here in NY that we all should thank for trying to have IBO be known. Hope that more of us try to make the shoots that he has and will put on for IBO, THANKS to Pet from Pinweel Archery!!