Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Average target distance

Old 06-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Average target distance

Shot my first 3D this weekend. I was shooting my hunting rig and expected (possibly naively) that the targets would be much closer than they were. Out of 30 targets there was only 1 that was at 25 yds (turkey head on). The remaining targets were mostly between 35 and 50 yards (most in the 42-47yard range).

I guess my question is " Is this typical?" . This was not an IBO event, but rather a local 2 day shoot. The first day I showed up with pins at 20, 30, 40 yards, and ended having to gague the targets out beyond my 40 yard pin.

What is considered normal distribution of target distances. Was this an exceptionally long course, or can I expect this to be the norm for 3D.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average target distance

That is way longer than the average distance in my area. We have 3-ds at our club regularly, and we have different shooting stakes for different classes.
The hunter stakes, where most people shoot from, are 35 yards and closer.

The comp. stakes are way longer on average, but they are the only ones.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:06 AM

98Redline,
I hope that is not normal for all of the clubs in your area. Truth be told, local clubs are all independant, and therefore can and will set courses the way they want to. The treand around here has been to shorten the average distance but to mix the distances well. The longer distances should still be used to keep you thinking, but not as a standard fare. Also most clubs have recognised a " hunter" class which competes at 35 yards or less. Make sure you are registered to shoot in the class appropriate to you.

The fun part of going to the local shoots is that you can find the ones that set the type of courses you enjoy. Remember, though that there needs to be something for everyone. If this course was set too long for your enjoyment, that does not make it wrong, to others it may have been just right. You might try politely expressing your thoughts to the club, and asking them who sets a somewhat softer course. Better still, Join your local club, offer to help, and use gentle persuasion from the inside. You might be surprised at how much influence you may have when your are willing to work to make things better for everyone.

Those of us who travel and compete at the longer stakes need the local clubs to continue to recognise us by setting a good mix of distances including occaisionally out to 50 yards. They also need to recognise that the majority of people who attend their club may never see a major tournament. We need them to adjust their ranges to attract the casual shooter so that they will want to return.

If this was your first 3D then let me just say....Man your going to have fun.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

bluejacket....the shoot was great fun. I had originally only planned on shooting on Saturday, but had such a good time I went back for Sunday as well. My scores were pretty pathetic, but then again I shoot mostly out to 35 yards during normal practice, and the 40 and up targets just tore me up. Next time I will have my 45 and 50 pins dialed in.

I did manage to take home a sort of " door prize" . I got a scorching case of poison ivy after a couple of forays into the weeds beyond the target to find my arrows. The real bummer is that I must have got some on the sleeve of my rain gear so every time I drew my bow, I rubbed it in deeper in the side of my face. I look a bit deformed right now [:' (].

That little setback aside, I had a blast and indend to add 3D to my normal schedule.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:49 AM

98redline, glad you had fun at your first 3d. the yardage you describe sounds like it may be in the open class, or maybe mbr (male bowhunter release). you may ask the club if they offer a hunter class, which is a 35 yard max. that is a great place to get started without having to chase your arrows thru the poison ivy, been there and done that.

the addition of the hunter class is a great tool for upcoming shooters to get aquainted with yardage estimation, and gives you a little cushion for progression without being thrown to the wolves so to speak.

why not load up and head to nelsonville ohio in a few weeks, that will be a great shoot. the venders there are great, lots of new trinkets and toys to be had..........
Old 06-27-2003, 10:19 PM

the 3ds events in our area it will depend on which club you go to One club will have the bowhunter stakes around the 15 to 25 yds,and the challenge stakes will be 30 to 60 yds. then a diff club will have the BH stakes 15 to 30 yds and the challenge stake will be 40 to 50 yds. but I like it that way because it mixes things up and makes you think a little bit more. One club that we shoot at does a great thing they give trophys to all the kids that shoot at their event,my daughters cofindence shot tru the roof when she got her trophy,she couldn' t stop talking about it for the whole week.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:30 PM

btpatriot,
and that club that gives trophies to all kids is which club? (I give you permission to say our name)
Make sure she comes to the next shoot, I' ll have plaque for her.