Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

HC Vs MBR. Your input please.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:21 PM

Default HC Vs MBR. Your input please.

I am new to this whole 3D thing.

Right now I shoot a Mathews Ultra Light with fixed crosshairs a peep site and a release.

That is MBR class correct? Or should I drop the stabilizer (at 11 3/4 now anyways) and go in HC Class and gain 10 yds on the max.

The only difference I can see at the moment is that I have 6 arrows at 3" vains and 6 at 4" . I would have to fletch the 6 with 3" to the 4" . And even that is no big deal.

Goyle
Old 04-09-2003, 10:00 AM

Default RE: HC Vs MBR. Your input please.

goyle, the mbr class is fixed pins, release aid, any length vanes, any length stabilizer. there is a 45 yard max distance from the shooting stakes.

the hc is 4in vanes, 12 in or shorter stabilizer, 35 yard max distance from the shooting stake, and i think the release aid is optional in this class, but a definate advantage. there is also a screw in point requirement.

if i were you and i were new to this sport, as far as shooting in the ibo, i would shoot the hunter class until i got a little more familiar with the format, distances, and equipment. this is an equipment class, but, a very good class to start off in until shooting skills are honed a little and confidence increases. the mbr would be a good step from there, and if you so desire, then open or semipro classes. the hc is a tough class to win, there are a lot of very good shooters there, but spend the time there and you will benefit greatly in the end.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like you are setup for both, only difference would be the vanes, assuming you have screw in points which are required for HC.

The only difference after that is the distance. But the ways its going, MBR will soon be even closer[X(] (I know, cheap shot, but everytime you turnaround they are trying to make other divisions easier to get people out of HC)

--Bob
Old 04-09-2003, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the input Keith and Bob.

I think I will go into the HC for this first year and see how it goes. I would like to move up and try to better myself each year. I' m sure that is going to be much harder then it sounds.

I hear so much about bow speed these days.
If I can give my 2 cents, I feel that if you are good at your yardage than speed would not matter. I am shooting at 271 FPS, which is 30 FPS faster than 2 years ago when I shot a Mountaineer at around 245 FPS. I didn’t have any trouble guessing yardage while deer hunting and didn' t need a bow over 300 FPS to get the job done. I love the setup I have now and enjoy shooting anytime.
I would think people should be limited to a slower speeds and that would hone their skills that much more. I am sure that if someone reads this that shoots the new Mathews or Hoyt or any other bow that hits 310 out of the box, will argue with me. But the way I see it (and this is the first time) 3D is about your ability to guess the yardage correctly and hit the right spot. Not about who has the fastest bow, therefore giving them less pins, and less room for error. Eliminating the guess work out of what I thought this was all about.

If the FPS was to be dropped to lets say, 265 -270 than everyone in the class would be at the same speed and therefore equal regardless of the newest and fastest thing on the market.

....Go ahead and bash the new guy....
I can take it. After all this is a forum for everyone to offer what they think.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:43 PM

goyle, i agree with you on the speed thing, but (and there is always a but) the addition of a little speed will help when the range questometer goes belly up on you midway through a shoot. only a few feet will help, but once you reach speeds above 300, you gain very little. there is a much bigger difference between 260 and 280 than 280 and 300. i would shoot a bow at 280 if possible. most people shoot around that speed anyway. i know the asa has a speed limit, and that levels the playing field a little, but i dont know of anyone in the ibo winning any events with bows shooting much faster than 280. maybe a few in there around 305, but that is not the norm anymore. i agree compfortable and easy to shoot is the way to go. glad to hear you enjoy shooting your bow that much. i think you will find when you travel to a few of the ibo shoots there are a lot of great folks out there, and the ibo staff is very approachable.