Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Missing the Point on Martin Add

Old 02-14-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Missing the Point on Martin Add

This is not about this women or how pretty she is it is a principle that is being broken concerning the high quality of advertising.

This is the add with the women dressed in black not a bikini. No she is not totally naked but that misses the point of this discussion. This is the starting point of adds like this that only will get worse if no one ever mentions it. But when you get desperate like I believe Martin Archery is to try and sell their product they will use any means to sell because it is about money not the quality of the product.

However I realize that we are slowly falling from being a principled society. This is a free society and I realize also you can look at women being exploited for profit and if you want to do that then buy Playboy. But why stand by silent while this is being slowly dragged into a realm where we are interested in quality products not gimmicks to sell these products

It is companies exploiting women to try to sell there products. It will only get worse if we stand by silent. I just believe that the archery industry doesn' t need to stoop to the levels of all the other companies out there.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Missing the Point on Martin Add

The ad uses an attractive girl to get you to stop and look at the ad to see what its for. I fly by most ads, I do stop at ones that have pictures that catch my eye, be it a big buck, elk or pretty girl. Once you stop you notice what the ad is for. Marketting mission accomplished.

--Bob
Old 02-14-2003, 12:16 PM

When I pick up a bow magazine I' m more impressed by a two page add of a new razortech or legacy than an advertising gimmick to get my attention it makes me think twice about buying from a gimmick using company like Martin Archery. That is why I picked up a Hoyt brand new razortech at my local proshop last evening for a friend of mine.

Hoyt' s advertising with a quality advertisement worked rather than just got a glance at a gimmick. Marketing mission is only accomplished when sales are made. Bowtech is the fastest growing bow company in america because of their product not an advertizing gimick. Quality advertising of quality product produces quality and quanity sales thus marketing mission accomplihsed
Old 02-14-2003, 06:55 PM

Yes, marketing mission accomplished and at what cost ? Whatever happened to the idea of archery as a family sport ? Do we really need sex to sell an item, to get our attention ? Is it really all about money and nothing else ? fraid so. Adds simalar to this were published in the seventies by PSE and Jennings, Bear ran a topless model add in I believe playboy at one time, I wonder if it really helped their sales. Seems like we are so used to such today that it is acceptable and unfortunatly we never seem to learn when to say enough to anything that is accepted in our society today by the majority. My hat is off to you Nimrod-Bow for simply having the courage to say what is true at a time and place when few are willing to do so.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:23 PM

Having a women dressed in black holding a bow in her hands... and the first thing that jumps into your mind is sex.... some one has too much time in their hands to dwell in the evil thoughts and reads the plaque into every thing. No up roar about the lady holding the deer head in the trophy taker add, Alot of fairly nice looking Mathews shooter in their adds. You are entilted you your feelings and opinions but could be over reacting just alittle?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the woman in question was ugly, would it then be OK?

She wasn`t even scantily clad!

Explioting women? I am guessing someones wife put them up to that.

I bet she wasn`t explioted at all, but very well paid!

This is far from the first Achery ad that displayed an attractive female with a product.

If that ad should not be viewed by children, then they should NEVER watch television.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What if you found out she is a staff shooter for Martin Archery? Would you still be offended?

I know what your point is , but if your going to fight this cause , are you willing to take it all the way? Boycott anything that " exploits" women to advertise their product? I cant think of a single beverage (alchohol or soda) that hasn' t used pretty women to sell their product. Are you going to boycott them all?

BTW , I dont think anyone missed your point in the last thread enough to warrant starting a new thread that has absolutely nothing to do with this forum.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 AM

Archery ads have had ladies in them hundreds of times.
Katie Smith
Ann Hoyt
Michele Ragsdale
Jahna Davis
Ginger Morehead
Jennie Richardson
Alicia Schultz
My wife has been in several Martin ads as well as their catalog. She went out and had some nice pictures done to look her best for those times that her picture was used.
I do not see the line that has been crossed. The model (?) is tastefully clothed. The pose is not unreasonably provocative.
If it was Darren McCutcheon with the Mustang that he won last year in Atlantic City, would that be the same? He is pretty cute in his little t-shirt.
How about if it was Dee and Reo? Would it be sexist for the ladies to note that Reo is in the ad? (Sorry Dee but you have to be the father figure.)
I do believe this is the gentlest use of this concept I can remember.
In archery much more blatant ads have been used many, many times. Did you respond the same to those ads. Is this the first time you have been outraged about an archery ad? Why this one and not an earlier one?
ken12

Old 02-18-2003, 08:51 AM

Ken

Your 100% correct. To add a few names to the list that would go back further would be easy such as Annie Buttz, Anne Marsdon, Anne Clark, and a woman that is in lots of ads and is leading the way in promoting archery, IMHO, Jennie Richardson.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:11 PM

There are tons of old archery ads with scantily clad ladies in them. Some are fetching big bucks on E-Bay as collectors items. I think this ad is very tasteful. Women are a large and growing part of archery, and I don' t believe that it is in bad taste to show them shooting a bow. It might just entice another lady to try archery.

Quick Reply: Missing the Point on Martin Add

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.