Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

help fletching contact.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 PM
pup

Default help fletching contact.

i just got a new razortec with a trophy taker shakey hunter rest. i am shooting gold tips xt's 55 75 s i am shooting about 58 pounds i was having problems paper tuning it so i took a magic marker and covered my rest with it and i shot an arrow when i went and check the arrow i had black magic marker on the edges on the vanes and it did this no matter how a turned the nock.. i bought this rest so i didnt have fletching contact. anyone have any ideas on what i should do?

peta SUCKS
Old 02-07-2003, 11:43 AM

Default RE: help fletching contact.

Raise your nocking point. With a dropaway rest it requires a slightly higher nocking point than normal. All the ones I have setup(unless it is a 2 cam bow) tunes perfect this way. All you need it a 1/4" or so. Try it. Bowjunkie

Old 02-07-2003, 01:11 PM
pup

ok so my nock needs to be 1/4 in higher then the rest. so the nock will be 1/4 in closer to the top cam right?

peta SUCKS
Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 PM

That is correct. It is called nock high. It looks like the point of the arrow is lower than the nock end. The reason being on a solo cam bow the string naturally drops down twords the bottom cam during the shot. with a conventional rest it will hold the arrow up the whole distance of the string travel but on a dropaway it get out of the way for the fletching to pass and allows them to dip too far If you set it nock high you compensate for the string traveling down and it levels the arrow and gets the fletching clearance you want. I hope that isn't too confusing. ask if you need more details. Bowjunkie

Old 02-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Spike

I know this won't solve your problem, but I once bought a bow for my sister. I set it up with a NAP 3000 Quicktune. I was paper tuning it and I kept getting horrible tears. So I did a bare shaft test. Perfectly spined. Humph. I was stumped. Clearing was good, and moving the nock did not change the tears. Then I looked at the arrows. Since I am not independently wealthy and have other expenses like food and housing, I do not own an arrow saw. The pro shop cut the arrows an inch too long. Once they fixed it, presto - perfect tears.

And as a note - I agree with Bowjunkie - the nock usually has to be set a little higher, but I would adjust it 1/16" at a time. IMHO, 1/4" may be a bit much.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:51 AM
pup

well i have been gone all weekend so i am going to go do some tuning today. i will let you all know how it goes.. my arrow are a little long but i wanted them that way. do you think that really might be the problem?

peta SUCKS
Old 02-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Spike

Whooops! Yes, arrows that are too long will cause a bad paper tear with the shaft tear lower than the fletch tears. If you play with the nock and it does nothing for the tears, you may want to reconsider your arrow length.

Why, may I ask, are your arrows too long? I'm still learning about arrow techniques myself.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:02 PM
pup

well i am giving up after shooting today. i always get a hight or a left tear no matter what setting i put the rest ro nock on. i am taking it to a shot tomorrow or the next day..

peta SUCKS