Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

IBO novelty shooting at National and World events?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Default IBO novelty shooting at National and World events?

Would you want to have novelty shooting at the IBO National and World events? I sure would and I am willing to go out on a limb and say that they could easily double the money for the "defense fund". Its not chemical engineering its novelty shooting. Long distance iron buck. Any one could pay to get {groups of 20?} in and get the last three shooters could get part of a 50% payback of that round.You would keep moving the buck back until only one shooter is left. I think you would have a line a 100 yards deep. Just a long distance {100+ yards} buffalo shot would be great . One ticket for entering. One ticket for a 8 and two tickets for a 10.[/align]
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Default RE: IBO novelty shooting at National and World events?

With a 170+ views and no reply? Don't be shy..
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 PM

Why not? I'd shoot it.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:08 AM

I think you have a great idea and it will generate alot of cash for the ibo!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 AM

Sounds good. Have a team shoot, have some pop up targets, have a long distance shot. Keep people busy with their bow. Thats why people are their, to shoot. I went to nelsonville and just shot the eagle eye and the defense course, I didnt even need to shoot the eagle eye, I am not going to anderson. I just wanted something to do. The vender area at nelsonville looked like a ghost town to me. I went to shop but it seemed a littledown to me. Something needs to be done to make it fun and interesting again. The only problem is if they start have all these archery gamesand everyone is having fun, someone might think its and ASA shoot or sonething.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Team novelty shooting events could be fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Sounds great andI think it would be wonderful. Without getting anyone upset, let me play the Devil's advocate a minute though.

First, I'm not an IBO rep or a Club officer so I'm not representing them here orspeaking on their behalf in any way whatsoever, just my own thoughts.I spent 12 years as the Shooting Sports coordinator for our county 4H and was always trying things like this to help finance our program for thekids who had no money. Some things worked, others crashed.

To get started you'll need a good plan (I've seen with my own eyes howmoney shooters are fickle and if they don't like your game and especially your cash pay-outs they will walk away grumbling) and targets/backstops(pop-ups will run you major dollars to buy or lease), a safe place to set-up, GOOD INSURANCE, advertisement, etc. So far this is thereally easy part even though anythinggoing wrong herecanshut you down, just look at the upcoming Pro/Am being cancelled for lack ofsign-ups. Most importantly you'll need a roster of other volunteers to help run the event.If you keep itsmall scale you'llprobably need at least 5 folks at a time to register andsafely manage the shoot. Let's say 4 hour shifts with no breaks times 3 full dayswhich equals45responsible and reliable volunteers. They mustunderstand your format and have been trained in advance about rules or you will have complaints that will shut you down if rules are not enforced evenly. As soon as you have money involved it brings out the worst in otherwise funloving folks. Now you see why all at once it is not as easy as it sounds.

When we show up as a shooter at a big shoot for the weekend....or any other large event for that matter....most of usdon't see all the work that goes into set-up. I worked Bedford as a club member of White River Bowmen for my first time this year. I put in 4week-ends clearing brush and prepping the rangeand trails and all day both Saturday and Sunday of the shoot manning a tent. For those who complained about travel costs that is about 800 miles worthof gas in the truck for me, just ask my accountant(wife). And I am a light weight just putting in my required work days as part of my club membership. The core group that made sure everything went smooth for the 1500+ shooters started planning as soon as the 2006 event was over. They each have hundreds of volunteer hours tied up to make this shoot happen. They spentseveral months working on the range weekends and week nightsplanning shooting lanes andexit paths, mowing/clearing brush, marking the ranges, setting targets, etc.. Supplies/targets have to be ordered and payed for,leases signed, rosters coordinated, registration booths manned, local and national advertisement, etc., etc. Any one thing goes wrong and youhave 1500 folks wanting to show you a rope and a tall tree limb. You have to have been involved in the planning to understand what it takes to coordinate an event this size.

On top of it, these guys don't even bring their own bow to therange as there is no way theyhave any time to shoot themselves. Some of them use their family vacation (or unpaid leave) to be there all that week making final preparations. During the event, they open up before anyone gets there in the morning and are the last out the gate each day after dark.I know some of themalso work at the other big IBO shoots. Severalothers are going to the other big shoots not to shoot but just to compare notes and see how they can improvethe Bedfordshoot next year. Also, every one of the forum/internet/vocalcriticisms has been analyzed in detail to see if they were justified and any improvements could or should be incorporated. Unfortunatley, even though the weather was perfect and most folks had a great time, there were only a few thank you'sposted compared tothe griping.

Theclub members like me who manned the tents and worked the range during the shoot got a couple of hot dogs and Gatorades for a12 hour day with no breaks. LOL, there is no money involved- I don't know who gets silly rumors like that started. I ended up with a sinus infection from breathing all thatdustand almost missed work the next week. Hardly a Union job.Just like 4H, the satisfactionin seeing the shooters, especially kids, who had a good time was worth more than dollars.

SO...constructive criticism and new ideas are a great thing. But while it would be nice if "they" would set this or that up to make the weekend more fun, remember "they" are volunteers busting their butt to put on a shoot so that families have a good safe place tocontinue in the sport of 3D archery and "they" probablycould useYOUR help.

And if helping at an IBO shoot doesn't fit your plans, start something in your neighborhood. Growing the sport is what it is really all about.