Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CWD in wild deer in New York...Article

Old 04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CWD in wild deer in New York...Article

Puddy....where are you located?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:03 AM

Stratford, NY, do most of my Bowhunting in Fairfield NY though. On a farm with close deer contact, that is what bothers me about this. They have killed 25 or more deer in Arieta, near Speculator Ny. This deer farm called Avery's bought 2 deer from where the deer in Oneida came from a few years ago. So far they haven't found anything. That is a lot of deer to kill in that area, it is North hunting, we don't have a big population of deer in this area.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Puddy, the Avery herd didnt purchase any deer from that herd. The only deer ever brought in to Averys was from a herd in Mass, in the early '70's, according to DEC documentation. The captive herd from Rome acquired deer from Averys in the nineties, if thats what you were referring to. The state and ag and markets has since determined that the Avery herd was not infected, and is now no more. Mr Avery passed away this spring. Hope the info helps you.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:24 AM

See how stories get messed up Bill. I heard the other way around, I heard Bob got deer from Rome, you really don't know unless you hear it from the source. I heard Bob died this Spring, that is to bad. Shame they have killed all them deer around there too. I heard 29 so far. I heard the fence at Avery's was down also, so I am sure some of the deer that was in there were wild, which some always got in anyways. Hope all these deer that have been killed and cleared of having this were consumed, what a waste if not.
I worked with an old fella in Massachusetts in 1987 and 1988, he had some deer on a farm, was telling me how he had been worked over by a couple bucks when they were in rut at his place. I wonder if Bob got his deer from him, his name was Joe something, don't remember his last name.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:21 PM

Puddy, looks like we will have quite a conversation soon...lol!