Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Give credit where it's due

Old 04-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Give credit where it's due

Somewhere on a thread in here awhile back I predicted they would find areas in 2G under 12 DPSM and maybe less.There's people that couldn't believe numbers could be so low.Now with the results of the infa-red count it looks like I was right.Now,I'm not trying to say I fully understand the science and politics behind this deer management because I don't.My point is hunters have been telling the PGC and some of you guys that the deer numbers were getting very low in certain areas yet some of you couldn't believe that and called us wrong and whiners.My point here and the results of the count do give credibility to some of our findings in areas we have hunted for years and areas we know very well.Some posters told us we don't know how to hunt or we need to go farther back.Well beenthere and done that.There's no better results then those from the field on the ground.The deer sign tells the story.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:43 AM

Default RE: Give credit where it's due

Somewhere on a thread in here awhile back I predicted they would find areas in 2G under 12 DPSM and maybe less.
That prediction can be found true in any part of the state. There will always, always be areas with less than 12 DPSM. Heck, I bet I can find areas in PA with less than 2 DPSM. Not much of a prediction.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

so in those areas w/ 12dpsm or even 2dpsm, we should keep doe tags and even bonus tags there.. like the DCNR said they want the herd cut down 50%.

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

That prediction can be found true in any part of the state. There will always, always be areas with less than 12 DPSM. Heck, I bet I can find areas in PA with less than 2 DPSM. Not much of a prediction.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

So then T you are stillsaying the hunters in 2G don't know what they're talking about.
Look at the results from the counts and you'll see that the average DPSM in 2G is lower than the goal of 15.
Just what the hunters have been telling them.
In the areas I hunt which covers 1/3 of 2G the DPSM is below 12.The counts confirm that.
Are you only willing to believethe counts when they are higher?
I know you can do better then your previous post in discussion.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:54 PM

So then T you are stillsaying the hunters in 2G don't know what they're talking about.
Never said that. I just pointed out prediction isn't much of a prediction.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was on the money T.But that's not what I want to discuss on this thread.Let's discuss the reports hunters have been giving in 2G and how the reports came to show what they were saying was actually true.
They weren't just whiners or complainers but simply telling the truth from experience in the field at ground zero.I feel the PGC did start listening to them but the DCNR is a different story.Now that they admitted to these low deer numbers they are changing the goals and want lower DPSM numbers because the forests aresupposingly not regenerating. regenerating.Open up the forest,they'll see some new growth.The DCNR is losing credibilty.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I've said before, I'm all for reasonable AR and HR but I'm really starting to worry about DCNR's motivations. Just like its bad for all that a few noisy hunters to still want a deer behind every tree, It's just as bad that the DCNR seems to be bent on eradicating the herd in some areas.

I'm really disturbed by this idea (if its true) of feeders being out during the aerial survey. Most all conventional wisdom says that supplemental winter feeding is produces dubious results. With that in mind, what possible reason could there be for the DCNR to put out feeders if not to "help" the survey results?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

BTBowhunter- we might be on different sides on the PA deer issue but i see we have a lot of the same views.. like i do think that the PGC do want whats best for hunters, i think they get misled sometimes and can do only so much..but we will see this week what they do w/ the doe tags to see if they are going to listen to the hunters.. but w/ the DCNR there is no way they are looking out for the hunters. everything they say and do is just off the wall crazyness..
i just dont get how people can call themselves a hunter and think that the DCNR is going to help hunting..
Old 04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

so do you think that in these areas that the herd should still be cut down???

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

There will always, always be areas with less than 12 DPSM. Heck, I bet I can find areas in PA with less than 2 DPSM. Not much of a prediction.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see why they would have to bait in most areas of state forest BT.The numbers are so low in most areas this could be the only way to get an actual count.
I really believe the wrong people are controlling the DCNR and with Rendell it's not going to get any better.I also believe Alt was working more for them then the PGC.The PGC is in a pickle and most of their problems are coming from the DCNR.
They want the PGC to run deer management like some southern states with longer rifle seasons and more liberal limits.Problem is those states have an 1/8 of the hunter numbers we have.
The forests were set aside for more then timber profits.Recreation is also a reason the state forests were set aside and hunting falls into that catagory.
The DCNR needs to stay out of deer management.

Quick Reply: Give credit where it's due

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.