Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

does it have to be a hat?

Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default does it have to be a hat?

both of these statements are from the PGC website... in one it says it has to be an orange hat then in the other it just says 100 sq inches.. so my question does it have to be a hat... my turkey vest has an orange band that i wrap around me..

"Hunters are required to wear a minimum of 100 square inches of fluorescent orange material on the head (a hat) when moving through the woods. The orange may be removed when a hunter reaches his or her calling destination, but it is recommended that hunters wrap an orange alert band around a nearby tree when calling and/or using decoys"

"Hunting regulations require all hunters to wear at least 100 square inches of fluorescent orange while moving through the woods. If hunters opt to remove their orange clothing after reaching their calling position, the Game Commission encourages them to display a fluorescent orange alert band near their hunting position. It may alert a hunter who is closing in on your call or decoys that a person is in the area. Hunters also are encouraged to place decoys in a way that will limit their susceptibility to in-the-line-of-fire shotgun discharges from approaching hunters"
Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: does it have to be a hat?

How about a traffic cone. On the head thats all. Not need be a hat.Maybe a pair of your wifes orange undies?? As long as it is 100 sg.inches on the HEAD
Old 04-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

cardeer- i do like the orange undies idea...
but what im looking for is does it have to be on your head. the last few years i havent been using a hat.. can a orange vest work.. i cant ever remember reading it had to be on the head before i saw this the other day..
Old 04-13-2005, 06:37 AM

I can tell you from experience that if it is not on your "head" such as a bandana or hat the fine is exactly $100 with a $7 processing fee. A full orange vest does not count at all.

Also, you'll want to have that orange hat on AT YOUR VEHICLE, because as soon as you have left it you are considered "hunting" and need orange on.

One last thing .. make sure you have your calls in your vest as soon as your feet hit pavement or gravel along with that orange hat .. or you could be found to be "stalking" turkeys .. which carries a rather hefty fine as well. Don't think you can get prepped 50 feet from the truck ... you are offficially "hunting" as soon as your feet hit the ground.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:22 AM

last year the book show a picture of a 4inch shay across the chest and back displays well over 100 inch this book does not so was it changed some were a long the line
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

my turkey vest has an orange band that i wrap around me..
I know a line of bull when I hear it...

I hate the idea of state-mandated blaze orange. It's an assumed risk, just like riding a quad or skydiving. We all know the risks of not looking like the great pumpkin. Of course you can get sprayed, mistaken for a turkey, I suppose.

I can also understand state-mandated orange requirements on state land - we're using their land, so we use it on their terms. As for private land, however, I don't see the justification.

Almost every turkey hunter I know (and I'm sure some of you would agree) keeps a balled up, ancient orange hat in their turkey vest "just in case," and that hat only comes out for 1 minute per day (that last minute of stepping out of the woods to get in your car).

It just seems silly to play pretend that everybody is abiding by this silly rule. I lost all faith in blaze orange turkey laws when some idiot blew my decoy off the stake a few seasons ago. I even had the orange band tied up in the tree behind me. Needless to say, he was focused on that monster foam gobbler. No hard feelings though, he was just another squirrel tryin' to get a nut. He felt like a real butthead afterward.

I, of course, abide by all blaze orange laws as well as the rest of the laws of this fine Commonwealth, being the upstanding citizen that I am.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

thats what i thought. it must have been changed. not that i mind wearing a hat i just didnt want a fine... hey thanks MA Jay thats what i wanted to know...
ORIGINAL: ringneck2

last year the book show a picture of a 4inch shay across the chest and back displays well over 100 inch this book does not so was it changed some were a long the line
Old 04-14-2005, 05:09 AM

The Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest is not all that clear on some issues. For the real answer I always go to the code at
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...hap141toc.html