Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY'ers, seeing many deer out now?

Old 03-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY'ers, seeing many deer out now?

I took a ride down to my camp in Cortland today. I was kinda surprised to see there was still a good 2ft snow in the woods yet. Had heck of a time drudging in through the deep snow. Stuck a stick in the ground, and bet measured good 20-22". Quite deeper then up here in Pulaski area. Anyways I enjoyed looking around on the drive down & back for deer in the farmers fields where snow had melted exposing the grass. I saw several deer, but not quite as many as thought I might. Only couple groups of 4-5 deer. Most areas only had couple out feeding. These spottings were mostly in DMU 7M. I did see a large group turkeys which I counted 65 total, about 20 were fullsize toms supporting 6-7" beards. One double bearded bird. I was curious what kind deer numbers others are seeing now that spring has arrived, and the snows melting away bringing the deer out to feed. More or less than usual, or about same??
Old 03-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY'ers, seeing many deer out now?

I am seeing a few now and then but when the snow started melting any area that grass showing there was deer. I lost count on how many i saw. Not seeing many birds though.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

last week probly 100 deer and 50 turkeys
Old 03-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Yep...seems to be deer out everywhere. Seen a few turkeys around but really haven't starting scouting 'em out yet.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I am seeing 10-30 deer from the window of my house each night.

About 150-200 in a 2 mile stretch of 5 & 20 on the way into town.

Almost like playing dodge with the truck, they are all over the place...
Old 03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Went for a romp around my land last week. Saw 18 total deer over a couple hundred acres. A flock of 32 turkeys, a different flock of 23 turkeys, a muskrat, and some geese. Been seeing a lot in the fields while I'm cruising around too.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:10 AM

Deer are everywhere around my house in WNY - Southern Erie/Catt County

I am kind of suprised to see them still all yarded up - there is a corn field I pass on my way home from work that wasn't cut in the fall and everyday there are 100+ deer in that field and every field I pass with a patch of grass in it has another 15 to 30 deer standing around some are even bedded down within 25 yrds of the road just watching traffic. Most of them look like they handled the winter pretty well to.

Can't wait for spring turkey - Cabin Fever's catching up with me.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:02 PM

I went shed hunting on saturday and saw abot 15 deer. It was exciting to see them. Can't wait for the season to start.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I have been seeing many deer in my travels as of late,I think they have spring fever too!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last week was peek in CNY I'd say for seeing deer. The hilltops only were exposed - and it seemed ever exposed spot had 20-30 deer on my way home from work.

Last thursday night - I counted well over 70 in one group - and saw several 20-30 groups. I have a 11 mile ride home from work. (7F and 7J)

This week many fields are exposed now - and they seem more split up ( 5 here - 10 there, etc). - Makes it tough to judge how many total are around.

FH

Quick Reply: NY'ers, seeing many deer out now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.