Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Proposed WV Wilderness Areas

Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Proposed WV Wilderness Areas

Not much info has been put out on the proposed wilderness areas in WV. The state and fed govts are trying to put one under the radar on the sportman of our state. There are many proposed areas, but the one I am most concerned about is the Spice Run area of the Mon NF. They wish to make this area roadless, meaning no access. It is very remote now with only one "road" through it currently. This is a very rough 4WD road and only dedicated old school traditional hunters travel. This has been our traditional hunting grounds since before there was an organized deer season in WV. The govt thinks that if they close land to people who currently use it to hunt that backpackers will come in and bring big bucks to the area, I have never seen a backpacker twenty miles into the wilderness in November. Imagine the Cranberry Wilderness Area with no road access, no Rt 39, Teacreek Road, or Scenic Highway, how many Wash DC backpackers would be using that wilderness? Don't get me wrong, I don't want our public land ravaged by mining, timbering, or development, but when a forest is already wilderness why try to fix something that is now broke. We need to speak up to our Senators and Congressmen before we get hosed and don't know it.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]