Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Questions for those in favor of QDM

Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Default RE: Questions for those in favor of QDM

I will surely go along but I have to say, QDM is not what I would like to see across the board for NY. An older herd of bucks, AR (if you would like to call it) although is.

Hunting 18 Seasons

I've harvested over 15 bucks but less than 25

I'll have to guess here < 20%

Where I typically hunt would be different than possible somewhere else.
The 4 pt would surely walk. For me it makes no difference. Shooting fawn doe can be a good thing, especailly if they are bone as a result of a late estrus cycle. As for the adult doe...it depends on where? In the Adirondacks, she walks. Out of the "dacks" she most likely would be harvested. The local population of deer will depict who is harvested.
Not my greed.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

1. 28

2. Cant count how many guessing around 15-18

3. About 1/2 of em where 4pts or less.

4. Mature Doe.

....I guess I have grown up over the last 10 years or so and I will not shoot scrubs anymore...Been there done that. Would rather go home empty handed knowing that I hunted hard and past up a bunch during the season.

I now am a QDM believer.......I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT AND I AM SAVED AMEN... Better hunting, better overall experience!!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:08 PM

I'v been hunting for 4 years. I am in favor of QDM. I shot one buck, an 8 pointer, missed a six and a four in 4 years with QDM. i'v seen about 3 spikes. As for the 4th question i would shoot the doe because i would want to let the young buck mature. Me and the guys i hunt with have been doing QDM for the past 4 years and we've taken two 8 pointers, a 5 pointer, two 4 pointers, and a seven pointer. Also in the last 4 years we have taken 9 does. If you are a rack hunter than QDM is the way to go. You will also see more bucks if you let the young ones go. try it for two seasons and i guarantee you will see more bucks.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Lung23

I'v been hunting for 4 years. I am in favor of QDM. I shot one buck, an 8 pointer, missed a six and a four in 4 years with QDM. i'v seen about 3 spikes. As for the 4th question i would shoot the doe because i would want to let the young buck mature. Me and the guys i hunt with have been doing QDM for the past 4 years and we've taken two 8 pointers, a 5 pointer, two 4 pointers, and a seven pointer. Also in the last 4 years we have taken 9 does. If you are a rack hunter than QDM is the way to go. You will also see more bucks if you let the young ones go. try it for two seasons and i guarantee you will see more bucks.
Double Lung that 4 point you missed was a least a mature deer. Right
Old 02-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

just a comment or two on shooting the doe with fawns

I personally have passed many doe with fawns. With that said, I may be changing my ways. I just read an article in Bowhunting that said that the fawns are more likely to stay in the birthplace range if they are orphaned. Therefore, if one of the fawns is a big buck (eventually) it will have a better chance of staying close by if mom isn't around. There was more good info on shooting doe also. Good article.

Did you all see Bill Winke's short article on shooting doe? I thought is was very informative, to the point, and made several good points about why it is important to shoot doe. I couldn't find it on their website, but if you have the mag and glossed over it - it is worth the read.
key points:
1) does control the population (which can greatly help hunting - buck/doe ratios, etc.)
2) certain aged does can effect what deer ar born (older doe tend to produce doe fawns, whereas young doe tend to have buck fawns)
3) also, young doe tend to have single fawns, old doe tend to have twins (another key for herd management)
Old 02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

just a comment or two on shooting the doe with fawns

I personally have passed many doe with fawns. With that said, I may be changing my ways. I just read an article in Bowhunting that said that the fawns are more likely to stay in the birthplace range if they are orphaned. Therefore, if one of the fawns is a big buck (eventually) it will have a better chance of staying close by if mom isn't around. There was more good info on shooting doe also. Good article.

Did you all see Bill Winke's short article on shooting doe? I thought is was very informative, to the point, and made several good points about why it is important to shoot doe. I couldn't find it on their website, but if you have the mag and glossed over it - it is worth the read.
key points:
1) does control the population (which can greatly help hunting - buck/doe ratios, etc.)
2) certain aged does can effect what deer ar born (older doe tend to produce doe fawns, whereas young doe tend to have buck fawns)
3) also, young doe tend to have single fawns, old doe tend to have twins (another key for herd management)
Agreed. I believe we talked about this last season.