Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Linvingston County New York

Old 02-16-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Linvingston County New York

Anyone have some first hand info on Livingston county deer hunting in western NY. Around Geneseo ? I have the opportunity to hunt some private land up there and was wondering what the deer population is like.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 AM

Default RE: Linvingston County New York

I don't hunt Livingston County mysef but I been through there many times. I live about an hour from Geneseo and here in upstate NY the deer hunting usually is pretty decent. Most of upstate NY had a down year this past year but there are plenty of deer to be had in that county.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:28 PM

Heck yeah I have some experience in western NY! I live in Geneseo, hunt in Groveland and Conesus. The deer population is pretty good, but it was a tough year this last season. If you have some wooded land that you can set a stand in overlooking fields, you should see some deer. I shot 4 deer (one buck three does) last year, and one doe this year. That doesn't count the deer I hunted with my truck 2 weeks before the season started! [:@] I saw quite a few, but was waiting for a big buck to come along. None did so I took a doe the last day I hunted. If you get a doe tag (this year 8M gave 1 doe tag, and a 50% chance for the second tag.) you should be able to get a doe pretty easily. I am guessing that next season they will drop the doe tags to one in 8M. There are a couple of big bucks around where I live (10 point or better) that I have seen since the season ended so they are out there. Do you know exactly where you will be hunting?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Livingston County, and have hunted in Geneseo too.

You'll find out Livingston county is one of the best hunting counties in NY bar none.

I shot my first deer in the Geneseo vicinity.

You might find out you do not want to leave and go hunt anywhere else.....
Old 02-17-2005, 07:46 AM

davidmor, I have'nt seen the land yet, but It's about 9 miles from the town of Geneseo. My uncle see's a lot of deer there so It sounds like a good hunt. I've driven up there before and it looks like good deer country. Actually it's looks like a great place to live too. I think I may try a weekend bowhunt next fall to scout around and then hunt Thanksgiving week during the gun season. I believe its a shotgun only area.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: greenbunch

davidmor, I have'nt seen the land yet, but It's about 9 miles from the town of Geneseo. My uncle see's a lot of deer there so It sounds like a good hunt. I've driven up there before and it looks like good deer country. Actually it's looks like a great place to live too. I think I may try a weekend bowhunt next fall to scout around and then hunt Thanksgiving week during the gun season. I believe its a shotgun only area.
Might want to consider doing more bow, and the first day or two of shotgun. Our deer are classified as smart, especially those around the SUNY Geneseo campus.....
Old 02-18-2005, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: greenbunch

Yes, it is shotgun (or muzzleloader) only around here. I would take Phade's suggestion and do some more bow hunting if you can. It gets really crazy around here the first week of shotgun season. Especially Thanksgiving day through the weekend. Opening day is almost like a state holiday around here. Just about everyone takes the day off work to hunt. It is a great place to hunt (and live too) so you should have a good time and probably a successful hunt. Good luck!