Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

You make the call!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:43 PM

Default RE: You make the call!

I'm not trying to pick a fight here... I'm too new to do that ..LOL Nor do I have the time to post and "stay in the fight" forever nor is it worth it!!!!...some people will never see the light of day for they fear to walk out of the cave.....I'm not accusing you of being in one either.....LMBO ROTF!!

In the past I owned 87 acres and learned you can't control the number of deer there will be on that small a parcel of land. You can do all the habitat improvement you want ,but if you hunt it hard ,you will still drive the deer onto adjoining properties.
Had you ever been to Charles Alsheimers property in upstate NY? If I hunted only 20 acres of that 87 might deer just run to where "man" only travels during the winter? That is the way to keep deer on a small parcel of land. Don't hunt it all. Hunt only a fraction of the land.
87 acres of land may not be great deer habitat as well. From your observations..87 acres is not enough. I, as well as others, beg to differ. Its all been done and can be done. You can hunt hard and not drive deer everywhere!!

Isn't the individual hunter the average hunter?

Furthermore, what is this garbage...
,then don't bother engaging in these discussions
If you don't care for someone's post, simple don't respond! No one is pressing your fingers on the keys. Who are you to tell someone not to post?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:21 PM

I'd like to also say this, while I enjoy reading a few posts a day here I also enjoy watching people who have no influence in the state pretend that they are game managers. Either they once were and have no influence at this time or they need to go where their passion leads them.....it surely should be here!
I won't be wasting my time. Sylvan....nice handle in things. I don't know why you would engage this unless you were totally dored though.
Population densities and ideal harvest models are things that some only do to get paid for.
Folks there are programs and comp formulas out there where you can insert the variables and the answers are spit out. It's not rocket science.
I'll play a different game. $$ might persuade me though!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Had you ever been to Charles Alsheimers property in upstate NY? If I hunted only 20 acres of that 87 might deer just run to where "man" only travels during the winter? That is the way to keep deer on a small parcel of land. Don't hunt it all. Hunt only a fraction of the land.
87 acres of land may not be great deer habitat as well. From your observations..87 acres is not enough. I, as well as others, beg to differ. Its all been done and can be done. You can hunt hard and not drive deer everywhere!!
You are right that if you have 87 acres and only allow one hunter to hunt that land you may have good hunting. But, you will not havest enough deer to keep the herd in balance with the habitat so you will be mismanaging the herd.

If you don't care for someone's post, simple don't respond! No one is pressing your fingers on the keys. Who are you to tell someone not to post?
2/21/2005 6:43:50 PM
The thread was about controling the harvest of the herd presented in my example. Someone turned it into a thread about buying land to have good hunting and then got upset when I called him on it. your post should be dirested at that individual ,not me!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

as far as QDM goes around, 87 acres is no where (NO WHERE) near enough to make it work. yes, you can manage any size piece of land (plant food plots, trees, hunt certain areas, etc.). But if you're trying to implement QDM, you better have A LOT (500 ac. +) of land in your control. case in point: say I own 200 ac, - the deer on that land roam a lot more than those 200 acre - i pass the nice 8 (but not QDM size) - the next hunter he passes (off my land) is going to shoot him - QDM down the drain
Old 02-22-2005, 10:51 AM

Although I'd like to agree I can't. Do you know what the average home range is for a buck in the state of Connecticut? Or even the Adirondacks?
Home range varies from one place to another.
The average home range for a buck in CT is about 17 acres. 87 acres would be ample land to institute a QDM program. As opposed to areas of the Adirondacks where a buck may have a home range of over 3000.
You can't just say across the board that you "can't"

Numbers of a population as well as home range play a huge part QDM. It can be done on a small scale. Most say that you need 400+ acres unhampered......it truly is not necessary. Where you live or hunt will determine the QDM involved
Old 02-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i may be off here, but .......
deer are deer are deer. they have the same biology in NY as the do in CT as they do in TX. there are some variables that may extend a range somewhat (food quality/availability, localized populations, etc.) If you really think a deer roams on 17 acres, you need to do a little more research. I own 20 acres and that is no where near enough room for 1 deer, let alone several. yes, a deer probably could survive in 20 acres but that doesn't mean they do travel. I have read many times how buck will roam miles looking for food and doe. example:
The White-tailed deer, who lives in good habitat, can be expected to occupy an area of approximately 300-400 acres. This changes as the year goes by. Ranges are usually large in the Summer months and smaller in the Winter months. Other factors that may affect the deer's behavior regarding it's home range is during the rut. This is the time of the year (Autumn) when the doe comes into heat . If this doe passes through a buck's home range he may follow her until she is receptive to him. Also, hunting pressure and domestic dogs may cause the deer to leave their home range. They will return as quickly as possible to their home range because this is where they feel safe. When the hunting pressure is on and you know that there are buck in the area, find the thickest area that you can and hunt there.

You take your 100 acres and try and make QDM work. I think you will be greatly upset. I am pretty sure the QDM people will tell you the same.
Just tryin to be real.

hot off the QDMA site:
It is important to set attainable goals for the property. For example, if your 100-acre property is surrounded by the “put-’em-on-the-ground quick” hunting club, a goal of consistently harvesting 4 1/2-year-old bucks is not going to be very attainable.

more info:
Two other hunters in the group recognized the deer as well and said they had seen the buck 23 miles north of where Kurt knew it had spent its summer. However, the owner had killed the deer 16 miles southeast of the deer's summer home. This big buck obviously loved to roam.

and:
When lots of good food is available, the white tail deer restricts its movements to about 1 square mile. (that's 640 ac.)
Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM

The type and amount of food and cover determine how many deer the habitat can hold; and the number of deer in the habitat affects the size of the home range of the deer. Deer in prime mixed habitats, with abundant food sources, generally have smaller home ranges (from 60-1000+ acres) than deer in open coniferous forests, where food sources are low and widely scattered (up to 20+ square miles).

Straight from http://www.whitetails.com/story79.html

So, now that your read this. Might 17 acres not be far off. If you think this is far off you must absolutely think 3000 acres is a fetch too! Look at the map of where I hunt...and think..I don't work far from there. The map will tell you where I have done much of my research. As soon as I can locate the particular homerange of the posted study I will PM you where to find it.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Here is another gift.

http://www.montana.edu/etd/available...ed/Cobb_04.pdf

As you can see the variety of homerange has many variables. Nothing is set in stone from one area to another one state to another.

A study was done in Kentucky and it was determined that the average for the state was about 500 acres with some deer having a home range of over 1000 as well.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Here is another goodie!!

This one goes to show just how far off one state and their onformation differs from another

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/stewardsh...life/www03.htm
HOME RANGE/POPULATION CONCERNS
A deer's home range is seldom more than 300 to 400 acres in the Coastal Plain, Piedmont or Southern Appalachian Mountains, although bucks may range wider in the fall. Deer populations usually increase at an annual rate of 40% on good range. If not subjected to either-sex hunting, deer populations may quickly exceed available food supplies. Disease outbreaks that can reduce the herd and increases in crop and seedling damage can result from overpopulation. When a population reaches the maximum that the habitat can support, harvest strategies may be applied to achieve a 1:1 buck to doe ratio. Harvest strategies can also be applied to maintain the health of the herd.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Summerflower

Here is another goodie!!

This one goes to show just how far off one state and their information differs from another

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/stewardsh...life/www03.htm
HOME RANGE/POPULATION CONCERNS
A deer's home range is seldom more than 300 to 400 acres in the Coastal Plain, Piedmont or Southern Appalachian Mountains, although bucks may range wider in the fall. Deer populations usually increase at an annual rate of 40% on good range. If not subjected to either-sex hunting, deer populations may quickly exceed available food supplies. Disease outbreaks that can reduce the herd and increases in crop and seedling damage can result from overpopulation. When a population reaches the maximum that the habitat can support, harvest strategies may be applied to achieve a 1:1 buck to doe ratio. Harvest strategies can also be applied to maintain the health of the herd.
And the state of Goergia say..150 -1150 in another study.

You may also search the Syracuse University Environmental School of Forestry. You will not be able to access some information nor am I allowed to copy it with certain permissions

Quick Reply: You make the call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.