Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

You make the call!

Old 02-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You make the call!

ddear @ 61 you should be in your deer hunting prime. I think you are missled at the true price of land.Like deer the cost varies with location.I live in Crawford county,Its not cheap but it can be had for $1000.00 an acre.or less.The sale of timber ,oil leases or the land it self could make land a great investment. People place more value on a new S.U.V. than their own future.That $42000.00 Suburban could be the differance in owning land or looking good driving to Wal mart.The Wal Mart here was deer cover 10 years ago.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:34 AM

In order to insure one would have decent hunting even with Alts herd reduction plan, one would have to buy several hundred acres. How many hunters have $300K to invest in good deer hunting, epecilally when you could have several good out of state hunts with just the interest on $300K.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

One person does not need to own that big a track of land if it is the piece the deer call home.One of the P.G.C. problems is dealing with farmers who own mostly fields & few woods.They want the deer shot that eat crops at night and then go back into low areas or thickets owned buy others.A twenty to fifty acre piece located between farms will hold more deer & make better hunting than a picked 200 acre corn field.You can also get like minded friends or family to buy several pieces togather to control a larger tract.Owning land is the only way you will have a say in who controls deer #'s. Farmers ,timber co.& the tree huggers(i.e ALT fans) all see deer a plague worse than typhoid.Alt says he loves the deer ,I pray he doesn't love me like he loves them. Dead!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Buying 50 acres of land is going to do much good when we reach the goal of 12 DPSM. At 12 OW DPSM you would around around 18 PS DPSM or 1 deer for every 35 acres of land. Furthermore, there isn't enough land in PA for each of the 900K hunters to buy 50 acres ,so your solution won't work.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never said I had an answer to the states problems,I put forth an option to people that care enough to make a differance for them selves and their families.The big money will always control the goverment,but that doesn't mean that we all have to follow them like sheep to a slaughter. As long as I am alive my land will hold as many deer as I see fit !If they eat every tree, fern & bush on it thats the way I want it. I plant Crops, cut brouse, plant apple trees to keep the deer in feed.That is my form of qdm. Unlike many who think a quailty deer is a dead deer. If more people took time to make habitat better we would not need this doe slaughter.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Im not sure on all the Number Crunching,...But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Last Night.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:46 PM

If more people took time to make habitat better we would not need this doe slaughter.
That is where you are dead wrong. No matter what idividuals do to improve the habitat, the PGC still assigns 60 DPSM to seedling and sapplings. 20 DPSM to saw timber and 5 DPSM to pole timber. The quality of the remaining habitat has no effect on the PGC OWDD goals.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

What the hell are you missing here. The P.G.C.Does not fly over your land at night and shoot the deer. If you can't understand the concept of private property you are in a sorry state. If you don't own a tract of land of your own , buy one and manage it as you see fit,if you don't then yes you are forced to hunt the public land that your licence money buys & you do not have any say an how it will be managed.If it pissed me off as bad as it does you I'D take up golf. Of course you are only going to find 18 holes per square mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:18 AM

I am not missing anything. We own a small parcel of land and In the past I owned 87 acres and learned you can't control the number of deer there will be on that small a parcel of land. You can do all the habitat improvement you want ,but if you hunt it hard ,you will still drive the deer onto adjoining properties.

Furthermore, there are many options available for the individual hunter ,but I am concerned about the future of deer hunting for the average hunter , not the individual hunter. If you don't care about the average hunter ,then don't bother engaging in these discussions ,because they are about the statewide deer management plan, rather than about what the individual hunter can do with 50-150 acres of land.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea you are right again I am way above the average hunter.I am way above the average land owner.Hell I am way above it all.Now you have gone and made me feel special. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: You make the call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.