Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

You make the call!

Old 02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You make the call!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Remember I said the 10 fawns recruited ,was net recruitment. That meant it accounted for 48% fawn moratliy and adult non-hunting mortality. Therefore , it is perfectlly logical that the herd would only produce a net recruitment of 10 fawns.

If we are to accept that 11 adult does producing a net recruitment of 10 fawns means that the herd will shrink even if there is no hunting whatsoever. I guess that means we all have to stop hunting and still watch the herd decrease till it's gone.

Somethings wrong with this picture[&:]
Why would you come to that conclusion?

If an OW herd of 21 deer have a net recruitment of ten deer ,then the PS herd would be 31 deer and you would have to harvest 10 deer to keep the herd stable . The quetstion then becomes how should the harvest be divided between adult doe and buck and fawns of each sex. It is really just that simple.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Ok ddear tell us the answer I can't wait any longer. [8D]
Old 02-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Nobody even attempted to provide an answer ,so we'll wait and see if we really do have any deer managers on the board.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I shouldnt attempt to read and respond to a post while there are a dozen things going on here at work to interrupt my thought process. I apologize, my post above was a brain fart and I have deleted it.

That being said, I still have to ask where you're going with this one?

Of course there are no deer managers here unless we count some armchair biologists and Monday morning quarterbacks.

It doesnt look like anyone is going to bite so why not just tell us what you're trying to say?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:09 PM

That being said, I still have to ask where you're going with this one?

Of course there are no deer managers here unless we count some armchair biologists and Monday morning quarterbacks.
If you will remember Alt said we should shoot mature doe and pass on fawns in order to save BB. Also, many menbers of the board were quite adamant that we shouldn't shoot fawns and BB,so in fact they were playing the role of deer manager since they were telling us what we should or shouldn't harvest just as many did in the discussions about AR.

This example will show what harvest is required to keep a herd stable and can demonstrate what will happen if the harvest strategy is changed. For example , before Alt was appointed nobody in the PGC worried about saving BB and that management strategy produced record buck harvests in 2000 and 2001. After Alt implemented AR and asked hunters to pass on BB the buck harvest dropped by 30% from 203K to 142 K. There has to be a reason for that.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:29 PM

This is the most retarded post I have ever seen. Now I need a drink. Thanks alot guys........14 years of sobriety down the drain.......
Old 02-15-2005, 06:29 PM

I'll join you moose!!

Why is it somebody always tries to confuse others with huge essays and confusing statistics.This is such a beaten horse, I could go to 50 other posts that contain the same old boring questions and same old boring arguments.This isn't school-sorry.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 PM

You and Moose apparently agree that my post was retarded , but you still felt compelled to respond. I wonder why ,since neither one of you even attempted to answer the question.

Here is the a hint to the answer. Ask yourself what happens to the B/D ratio if you save all the BB.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

DDEAR Its easy!!! When a doe drops twins usually 1 bb and one doe fawn. By not shooting that yearling you are not only saving a bb but a little doe also. That is why you leave the little ones go. Soooo what are you trying to say in your last post.

Quick Reply: You make the call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.