Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ Sunday Bow Hunting: A3736...Contact Your Reps!

Old 02-15-2005, 06:36 AM

Default RE: NJ Sunday Bow Hunting: A3736...Contact Your Reps!

NJBowman... I know how hard it is to kill a deer with a bow and arrow. Sometimes it is a challenge trying to kill one with a gun. Alot of the bowhunters I know strictly target horns. I personally know of one guy who killed 6 bucks this past bow season (permit bow included) in zone 19. He will pass up 30 does and fawns waiting for the 4 inch spike. He won't kill a deer without horns period. If they allowed bowhunting on Sunday, he would of killed more than 6. Killing a buck isn't that important to me. I hunted permit shotgun in zone 25 on 1/7/05. Saw 3 deer. 2 does and a nice 6-pointer. I killed one of the does and let the buck walk. I sometimes work 6 days a week and will use my vacation time for hunting. I spend a considerably amount of time scouting prior to the gun seasons once the chiggers migrate into the humus. Stopped scouting on Saturdays because I respect the efforts of others and don't want to disrupt a bowhunt. Confine my scouting to Sundays. It is kind of nice walking around checking things out without thinking that I'm screwing up a bowhunt. I do support the United Bowhunters of NJ for want it is worth by paying the yearly fee ($75.00) for our organization.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:46 AM

How in the world did he shoot 6 Bucks in zone 19 with a bow ?

ZONE(S): 5, 17, 19, 25, 42, 48
Fall Bow (42-days): Season bag limit is unlimited antlerless and ONE antlered deer.

Permit Bow (53-days): Season bag limit is unlimited antlerless and ONE antlered deer.

Winter Bow (26-days): Season bag limit is unlimited antlerless and ONE antlered deer.

I think he was pulling your chain with 6 bucks in zone 19 . He should have taged out after three bucks . The Sunday hunting wouldnt of mattered to him , he was done .
Old 02-15-2005, 07:01 AM

Did it illegally. As lax as some check in stations are in the area he takes the chance and checks them in as antlerless deer or doesn't even bother checking them in. He wasn't pulling my chain. I don't agree with it. I play by the rules.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 AM

The guy who killed six bucks is a poacher and shouldn't even be considered in the conversation of Sunday hunting. The more important picture is hunter rights. We need every victory we can muster. After loosing the bear hunt scenario I heard some guys saying "that is the beginning of the end for hunting in NJ." If we could have Sunday hunting instituted it would be a victory for all sportsmen and just as importantly a defeat for the anti's. If they disallow Sunday hunting it would be another victory for the anti's and the worst thing we can do is let them build up a head of steam. I don't think the potential democratic candidate for Governor is hunter frienly and is definetly anti-gun. We as sportsmen must put our differences aside and rally behind all pro-hunting and pro-gun legislation. If not for the benefit of ourselves, then for the benefit of the youth of our sport.
Okay I'm finished with the soap box.... anybody else want to use it?????
Old 02-15-2005, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: JsmesB67

I don't think the potential democratic candidate for Governor is hunter frienly and is definetly anti-gun.
You're right there. Corzine, when asked what he thought about hunting, stated that NJ has enough supermarkets.

There is no way we can allow him to win.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Heck Jim. Keep talking like that and you're welcome to the soap box anytime ya want.

Here's a quote you may like. It comes from recent PA Farm bureau testimony dealing with illegal local ordinances that interfere with their Freedom to farm, but seems appropriate to our Freedom to hunt:

"Fear – not fact – seems to drive this opposition. Opponents do not know and do not care about trying to know the true risks involved. They only know that they don’t want any change, and they try to create any and every potential catastrophe that could happen without any assessment of how realistic that potential is."
Old 02-15-2005, 02:22 PM

That's right on target for us, I hate to say. It just troubles me to see so much division amongst our ranks. There is so much quarreling in almost every post I read. People joke about it in other forums!
My son will be five years old in a couple of weeks. One of my biggest fears is not being able to hunt with him, so it disturbs me when I hear people say "I'm against this pro-hunt legislation" or "I don't participate in that aspect of the sport" or "That's the beginning of the end for hunting in NJ." NJ is a testing ground for anti-gun anti-hunting legislation. Anti's will try and ram all kinds of crap down our throats so they can chalk up another victory for their press releases and generate money!!!!!
I don't hunt with a cross-bow but if a bunch of guys wanted to rally their Assemblymen/Senators I would take five minutes of my time and send my respective elected officials an e-mail expressing my concerns for their support. This is important stuff!!!!
OK I'm done for now.... Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree that you dont have to hunt on sunday if it bothers a few. for me its about time spent in the woods. i pass on many deer so its not about how many i can get in a season so my bag limits wouldnt go up. it would just give me more time and options to get out in the woods and hunt. i cant get out during the week days mostly. i have to admit im jealous of the guys with there own business or jobs with flexible hours to allow them to hunt in the middle of the week. sundays just give me more quality time . also i do have times that i have to and need to work saturdays so sunday would be my ONLY! time in the woods. its just makes too much sence. THE STATE SHOULD ALLOW SUNDAY HUNTING AND GET OVER THE OLD WORLD NOTIONS THAT GAME NEED A DAY OFF OR WHATEVER. IF I SAID FISH NEED A BREAK ON SUNDAYS I WOULD BE LAUGHED AT. SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? it kinda sucks when i see all the striped bass fisherman come to my town and beach and can do there thing any day of the week and pay nothing but i spend hundreds on hunting fees and such and have to be restricted.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-16-2005, 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: NJBowman

Fist of all that poacher should be turned in. F&W can cross reference those tags and age when the bucks were killed. Turn his ass in!!!
Now it comes down to education of all hunters. My daughter took her 4 th doe of the season tonight. She has passed up at leats 20 bucks this year either because of not haveing her eab deer of they were to small. I have never told her she could not shoot any buck because of it's size. She has formed that on her own. She is an example that hunters with 30 years of experience should follow.
The reason I bring her up is she is 13 years old. Her school work comes first so her weekday time is limited. She is also a very good softball player and many times has games on Sat. Should she be denied the chance to hunt on the one day that is mostly free to her? Should she have to choose between hunting and something else she loves to do? This is the situation most of our youth is in, so Sunday hunting may just be the only way to keep their interest in hunting and ensure our sport has support for years to come.
We all need to keep united even if we do not always agree 100% on every issue.
Well said John.

Quick Reply: NJ Sunday Bow Hunting: A3736...Contact Your Reps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.