Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Post your take on the NY DEC meetings across the state

Old 02-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Post your take on the NY DEC meetings across the state

If you went to one of the meetings across the state, post what was the general consensus and key points. Here is what I came away with:

They had deer take numbers and they are down. There will likely be no doe permits in 7M again [:@].
I bet these key points will be similar throughout the state.

1) there were some extremes on both ends
2) lots of (almost unanomous) no ML in bow, but also some good support for early ML week in beginning of Oct. (if there is any early ML); definitely no ML in middle of bow
3) extend late ML (lots of support for that) - DEC worries about complaints from other "outdoor" activities (snowmobiles, hikers, x-country skiing) - as far as I know we don't shoot them, just deer???
4) the small game hunters are lost in all of this discussion
5) more coyote opportunities (lots of talk about that)
6) lower hunting age

worst part I see is the bickering and complaining about/between different hunting groups - the "they can do this now", "why do they have to have that", they don't need that", "I...", "I......., "I....", but there was some commonsense, give 'n' take compromise talk, hopefully that will prevail and DEC will adopt something that all can live with
Old 02-10-2005, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Post your take on the NY DEC meetings across the state

Doughboy, good points. I myself dont see the need for the MZ special season, even though I use a MZ too. But, guys are coming in here and saying its so popular up north, so who knows, I may have to stand corrected soon. Time will tell. Im just against tacking it onto the end of the season, I KNOW what Ill see then, I do already. I dont hear much comment when I make that statement, though, so again, who knows! Im going to try to make the meeting tonight by me.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

let us know what happens at your meeting
Old 02-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I am going tonight, but I already feel like we are going to be the next PA.

Not just because of the DEC and their current thoughts, but also alot of the uninformed seem to come out of the woodwork and blanket the issue with remarks that have zero basis of truth to back it up. PA clearly showed us that with the posts that they have talked about here.

NY seems to be wanting to be flushed down the drain, and it isn't only the DEC who is doing it.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Voting for it when you bought your next season's lis. was the big hit tonight.

Of course alot of non mz in bow fans...
Old 02-10-2005, 10:22 PM

The group I sat next to included bowhunters, two guys who have run shops, and some farmers. Its a shame, because the crowd was often a bit unprofessional, and definitely uninformed on deer management, etc. But the overwhelming theme was that the proposed MZ week is assinine. Like Phade said, a good suggestion, by Steve VanZile was to offer a way to vote on these initiatives when buying a license. After that we were embarrassed by catcalls, arguments over landowner rights, coyote kills and even farmers for not leaving crop in the fields for deer. Good grief!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ther's a lot of uninformed, "uneducated" (basically ingnorant) people out there. And the big problem is they are generally the most vocal. What was the outcome of your meeting? Where there any common threads, like at my meeting. Our meeting was fairly civilized. Like I said, I think most of the people were and the "same" page (or at least turning to the same page). That suprised me somewhat.

The point I have tried to make in the past is that if we (as hunters) don't present a somewhat united front on these and other issues, nothing (good) will get accomplished. Our meeting had some of that (ie - no ML in Bow, but need to have expanded ML). Some spoke of compromise, which I think is key, but many are too narrow-minded.

Keep the posts on the meetings coming. I sure hope that more than 3 of us here attended. And for all those that complain, when the final regs are passed, I sure hope you can say that you spoke at a meeting or at least sent letters/comments.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep
Keep the posts on the meetings coming. I sure hope that more than 3 of us here attended.
I believe I said that too for the longest time. Who knows what is going to happen, the DEC might suprise us...
Old 02-11-2005, 09:24 AM

Doughboysigep, yes, our theme was about the same as yours. Just about unanomously against the MZ hunt during bow, talk of comprimise during the gun season, and, unfortunately, too many that thought December and January hunts were logical. You guys know how I feel about that already. They also dont like the damage deer permits, but this coming from guys who were mad because farmers dont leave enough crop behind? Some also voiced displeasure in the Saturday gun start. I couldnt figure that one out. Im tired of reasoning with the public, Im headed back to the studio, lol.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Ther's a lot of uninformed, "uneducated" (basically ingnorant) people out there. And the big problem is they are generally the most vocal.
Boy...Ain't that the truth! This seems to be becoming more and more obvious all the time too. I was planning on attending one of the Region 8 meetings on Tuesday, but wasn't able to make it. I can only image some of the BS stories that were being tossed around. I'm also at the point where I have stopped trying to reason with people on some of these issues...no matter what you say or how much sense you try to beat into them...it always seems to go in one ear and out the other [:@].

Quick Reply: Post your take on the NY DEC meetings across the state

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.