Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Turkey Hunting in Allegheny National Forest

Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Turkey Hunting in Allegheny National Forest

Any experienced turkey hunters ever have any luck in the Allegheny Nat. Forest??

I'll be heading up there for an extended weekend this spring - just wondering what the hunting is like.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Hunting in Allegheny National Forest

I have seen it at both extremes. Some years you are overrun by birds, some years there are no birds on a particular mountain, at all. You should get in there and scout for a concentration of sign. Being a vast area they tend to be somewhat nomadic. I have seen flocks of well more than a hundred birds. Go in to your favorite place during the evening and call with an owl hooter around the second week of April to locate some gobblers. They answer back pretty eagerly after roosting for the night.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have hunted up there a few tmes , usually i stay down around home tho , but my camp is jsut outside of KANE , and we go up all the time for deer and to fish in the spring and summer , and i do see birds all the time , im thinking of going up this spring for the youth hunt . my uncle always gets a bird up there .
Old 02-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've bagged a few birds in the ANF. The turkey hunting is pretty good in spots but you need to get back in a bit in the spring. Walk back the gated roads a bit in the evening and put em to bed and you'll do fine.

What part of the ANF will you be hunting in?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Quiksilver, I hunt the ANF every spring. My family farm is just outside of Bradford. Our land is right against the foresty. If our property is unproductive, I'll jump on the ANF. You really need to wear some leather to find the birds. Some seasons their very vocal, and other times you don't hear a thing. Good Luck.........
Old 02-02-2005, 06:26 PM

I live in elk co hunt all surounding anf allways find birds
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM

i hunt near springcreek Pa, and occassionally hunt Alleghany Natl. forest, we have seen a few turkeys up there, but more over in w. springcreek.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:19 PM

My house borders ANF, about 20 min SW of Warren, I hunt almost exclusively in the ANF, although There's a farm I like to hunt the 1st few days, not as many "I wonder how to hunt turkeys" 1st timers roaming about squealing on the box call they bought just the day before-