Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

QDM POLL FOR PA

Old 02-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: QDM POLL FOR PA

QDM POLL FOR PA
Yes if done right, start with food first, some clear cuts,food plots, select cuts, cull spikes and some doe you don't start with killing all the big bucks first. It will never fly in Pa.

But what do I know I am 59.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

lost horn I will explain it a little. Spike bucks isn't all the product of bad genes. Very few result from bad genes. They result from the following. When your buck to doe ratio is out of whack such as in PA. You will see more young spikes because the does get bred later then they should. The result is later births which effects antler growth. Because that deer is eating to catch up on its body weight instead of antler growth. The button buck which was born in the spring instead of late summer will mantain a healthy body weight for winter. When spring arrives his nutrition will be going into his antlers because his body weight is healthy. To prove this why do 97% of 4.5 year old bucks score 140 P&Y. Genetics and nutrition are factors but most of it comes from age. ONCE A SPIKE BUCK ALWAYS A SPIKE BUCK isnt true.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

For all those people that are confused. I am saying I think if you shoot a button buck you should have to use your buck tag. That way people would start to get that brown its down theory out of their heads. And look before they shoot which would cut down on button bucks being shot.
Comprende
Old 02-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunt 05
If your a meat hunter that is fine. Here is a tip for helping you get more meat. By shooting a mature deer you will get 30%-40% more meat. Just food for thought.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 PM

They result from the following. When your buck to doe ratio is out of whack such as in PA. You will see more young spikes because the does get bred later then they should. The result is later births which effects antler growth.
Do you know what the B/D ratio was before AR and do you know what the B/D ratio is now? Did you happen to see the results of the fawn conception study?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

1. YES

2. Yes

3. 40
Old 02-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Sylvan you do make a valid point about trophy management. That is what is nice about these forums it lets you hear many different sides of an issue. My point wasn't that all the dominant bucks would be harvested. Unless you are hunting behind a high fence, a majority of the dominant bucks will probably survive. They got to be old by being cautious. I believe natures plan is to allow most of the breeding to be done by mature animals with good genes. The doe will stand for the largest and most impressive buck that is pursuing her. I think having a healthy buck doe ratio is important as a starting point. Around here, you might see 20 doe before you see a buck and then it will probably be a spike or fork horn. What ever solution they come up with this needs to be fixed.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never once been able to tell a button buck from a doe in the field in hunting conditions. I can see it happening in bow season possibly, but during gun things happen too fast and at farther distances to see the little nubs. yes they are smaller in stature, but so are young doe. and by the way, in most areas, the majority of yoy bucks are spikes or forks - not many trophy 8-10 pt. yoy running around.

ps - i would just assume shoot a mature (1.5 yr. +) deer (buck or doe), but that doesn't always happen for one reason or the other
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

To prove this why do 97% of 4.5 year old bucks score 140 P&Y. Genetics and nutrition are factors but most of it comes from age. ONCE A SPIKE BUCK ALWAYS A SPIKE BUCK isnt true.
If you kill off 174.000 legal bucks and 66.000 button bucks 2003 numbers.
What bucks are left to do all of the breeding ?

The scrubs! [:@]
Old 02-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

color=#33FF66]Please Get Back ON the Topic![/color][/color]

Quick Reply: QDM POLL FOR PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.