Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE January Archery Season

Old 01-29-2005, 08:52 PM

Default DE January Archery Season

I know its late for this thread, but I figured I'd start fresh.

What a day. The clowns at NOAA couldnt figure out a wind forecast so we covered all bases. I picked up my father and we got in line for the Stand draw at the public ground. If there was no crowd, I was actually thinking at being an outlaw and ground hunting somewhere close to the stands. Turns out, the woods was going to be pretty crowded, so we nixed that plan.

Drove over to the leased place and dumped the last of the corn and looked around. The sign by my old platform stand that I havent hunted since Nov Shotgun was incredible. There was some decent sign by my portable stand too. The wind wasnt the best, but it was doable so we decided to hunt there.

5 mins before sunset, 5 deer coming running from the bedding area. There were 3 does and 2 4pts. They were running everywhere boreassing in the snow. After about 5 mins, the lead (and biggest) doe starts heading for corn pile with the others in tow.

Now, the way the winds drifting I have to shoot before they get to the corn. I have a good shooting lane for that so im not worried. Well when the lead doe goes behind the trees before the lane, the 4pt behind her is looking right at me. I cant move or he'll spook. Well, when the doe enters the lane, she stops and sticks her nose up, she smells me. I figure its now or never. I start my draw, which raises the bow maybe 3 inches and she see me. I freeze, but too late. She turns and walks quickly away, taking the others with her. UGGH! My father saw nothing on his side of the woods.

To make matters worse, as I was pulling out of the field, I misjudged the entry way in the snow and slid my truck into the drainage ditch. Took over and hour and a half and multiple phone calls to get someone to come haul us out. [:'(] At least I have Insurance on that.

What a friggen day. Im almost happy Monday is the end. Its really starting to drive me nuts....

Only heard 1 shot from the smokepolers today. The deer seem to be really herded up now.

I cant believe I had that doe 15yds away broadside and couldnt get to draw on her. Dont get many opportunities like that this late in the season. Just too many eyes on me.

Mondays the last hoorah! So who else is heading out? Anyone get one with a bow this month?

Goodnight!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:39 AM

Default RE: DE January Archery Season

Heading out this PM for the last hoorah! Wind forecast is good. Just hoping the deer cooperate. Will post results afterwards.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:12 AM

Good luck, maybe today will be the day. I called it quits till sept.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM

Well, thus ends the 2004-2005 Deer Season. Saw nothing, nadda, zip. The area around my stand was a poster for deer sign. At least 3 different deer moved through since the snow stopped yesterday. 2 got so close to my ladder they could have scratched their asses on it if they wanted too. Oh well.

First season in 7 years that neither my father or I got any deer. Its going to be a long venisonless off season.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your using corn or other to attract deer to general hunting area,keep it at least 50-100 yrds from stand and NEVER EVER walk around bait. Keep it in the general path of bedding area. Maybe your already doing this - if so disregard my comments. Baiting to keep deer moving thru your area/farm is a fine art. Just a thought.