Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY 2004 Bear Take? and Populations/

my cousins grandpa has a hunting camp in stillwater like 40 minutes north of troy is there a bear season or bears at all there
Old 01-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Bears can legally be hunted in the Adirondacks, Catskills and Allegany state parks only. Check the DEC website for more detailed info.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:06 PM

Here is a link to a DEC state map showing where you can hunt bear legally in NY. You can not hunt in bear in Allegany State Park. The DMU area that the park is in is 9S and the park is the entire DMU. You can hunt the adjacent DMU's.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...uide/bear.html

Great to hear the stories. Keep them coming, thanks.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

well looks like thats a a no because its in 4a wheres the nearest public land? and are there alot of bears there?
and i have a turkey hunting camp in delhi(delaware cty) weve never seen a bear there in 20yrs is there any ariund or public land near there?
thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 PM

You can not hunt in bear in Allegany State Park. The DMU area that the park is in is 9S and the park is the entire DMU. You can hunt the adjacent DMU's.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...uide/bear.html

I inadvertently referred to the state park. I was just listing the 3 areas you can hunt bears in the state: Adirondacks, Catskills and Alleganies. Thats why I advised visiting the DEC site for more detailed info.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 PM

Mr .45-70

No problem, I figured you understood all along, I hope didn't come across wrong. I just wanted to point it out for those who are just reading along. I didn't want some one to show up at the park next year and expect to be able to bear hunt there. Especially since you can hunt deer in the park. I find that odd, but I guess they want to give the bears a sanctuary. I have a friend who has a large family and every year they rent a couple of heated cabins in the park for a week during dear season and all the uncles, and cousin come down and stay to go deer hunting. They see lots of bears while hunting the park and I've heard some great stories about them. Last year one mother and her cub was scarred by another hunter and they ran like a bat out of hell practically right through were my friends brother had his ground blind. This year the same brother watched a mother and two cubs for 1/2 hour feeding on acorns. There used to be more bears down in the Quaker section of the park but now there all over the park. I was camping down there last year and my son and I watched a smaller bear raid on of the garbage dumpsters right in the middle of broad daylight. One of these years I just might renting a cabin myself, but I like to hunt on my property and there I can shoot the bears while I am deer hunting.