Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

restrict archery lol

Old 01-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: restrict archery lol

Where did this "earn a buck" program info. come from? Did I miss this somewhere? I haven't read this in any of my local newspapers...........

And I have a problem with it. You mean to tell me if a 12 year old in a tree his first year and a 120" buck happens to walk by, he's gotta pass it up to kill a doe? That kid will probably never want to hunt again. Not that I place an emphasis on trophy hunting, especially for a little kid, and this is an extreme case, but big bucks are often a once in a lifetime deal in this state. What did you accomplish here?

I also have a problem with the antler restrictions. Why does most of southwest PA have a 4 point restriction? What's so special about our corner of the state? From what I've read on here, nobody in this area is having a problem finding deer period. I also believe that if kids 16 and under can kill any buck they want, SR. citizens should be allowed that privilege also.

I also don't believe in the doe/buck seasons running together either. This creates mass chaos in the woods, try hunting on game lands in greene county if you don't believe me. It's really ridiculous what goes on there. Random shooting and the "if it's brown, it's down" theory sadly precides over safety. It's a war out there. I witnessed this first hand as a 7mm mag bullet was carelessly slung over my head and I proceeded to introduce a city hunter to my fist. He knew I was sitting there......

I don't really know what should be done about the doe liscense allocations. Some areas need to thinned a little more, but others desperately need to be revitalized. Smaller Management Units may need to be put in place. But a separate season wouldn't be a bad idea, and I would like to see the "one deer a day" rule put back in place. At least in gun season.

The earn a buck deal wouldn't be a bad idea..........if it's for my 2nd buck tag. But don't tell me I have to pass up a buck to kill a doe. I have no problem taking a couple does with a bow or gun, I always do,but don't tell me when I have to do it.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mikey S. I agree with the earn a buck theory. Why not? Except for kids, I don't see a problem with it. IMO, whats accomplished is, the game commission would be able to ensure that a certain level of antlerless deer are taken each year, and in the effect, saving some bucks. The mentality of "getting your buck every year" and proving your manhood are gone.

As for concurrent season. I agree, its stupid. I hunt private ground thankfully and don't have to deal with the "pumpkin patch" that enters the woods with the "brown and down' motto. Its very dangerous in the woods that time of year.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Muzzyman, proving my manhood does not concern me the least. I have 2 hunting buddies, that's it, and we all hunt the same places. I've been bowhunting seriously since 93 when I was 19 years old. I've been fortunate enough to harvest 17 bucks and 14 does between PA and WV archery seasons. I think I've done well, but I'm starting to alter my hunting spots and strategies in search of a trophy buck, for I have not yet had the chance to put an arrow in one. Maybe you have, I'm glad for you if you did, but I know a lot of guys older than me(excellent hunters) who have not. It just hasen't happened yet. I just wouldn't want me, or anyone else in the state to miss an opportunity at a once in a lifetime animal because they weren't allowed. That opportunity may never happen again, and having to pass on it because of a rule, to me, is just BS. If that makes me sound like a bad hunter, sorry. I just want what I work for.

What are we saving bucks for?? That sounds like a manhood issue to me. PA is never going to have a trophy class buck herd available to the public. There are to many RIFLE hunters. We'll have some some nice 15-16" bucks running around, which is what I've noticed, but not record class animals. Look at Ohio. Yea, it's a flat state, with a smaller amount of hunters, and more/better farmland..........but look at the hogs that come out that state. There are no hunters picking off bucks at 400 yards away sitting on a powerline 5 feet from the truck. You want more bucks? Give us the slug gun season, make the mass of hunters go back in the woods and learn how to hunt again. You'll save all the bucks you want.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will never fly - there are way too many people that would be opposed to it. I am one of those. Not that I won't/don't shoot doe (I am more than wiling), but I would be one upset hunter if I had to pass a buck of a lifetime just because I hadn't seen a doe to shoot. I could be a lifetime hunter who has never seen or been able to harvest a "wallhanger" and maybe I'm fine with that, but if and when the time came, I sure as heck better have the "right" to shoot the biggun.

It very well might work in certain areas where it is needed, but for the most part I say its a bad idea, which many hunters wouldn't follow if it were passed.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone else who would be totally happy with just having one doe tag and a buck tag?
Good question Frank!
Personally, I'm one of those guys who shoots (and uses) 5-6 deer per season now that it's legal. I am taking those deer from overpopulated suburbia. If were talking about areas where HR has had its' effect then one of each is plenty. On the other hand, 2B and 5C still had unsold tags right up to the end of the season. In that case, letting the hunters who can be effective in getting the deer buy multiple tags just makes sense.

Mikey,

Where did this "earn a buck" program info. come from? Did I miss this somewhere? I haven't read this in any of my local newspapers...........
It's not even under consideration. earn a buck has been suggested but has not ever been seriously considered. When it was suggested it certainly wasnt directed just at archers.

Heres a thought though, in SRA's and area where the doe population is still high, why not start Archery two weeks earlier for doe only in those areas only. The effect will be some does killed before the rut in areas where it's needed with no adverse effect on the bucks. As for the jealous non archers who will scream about our long season I would say two things:

1 You are welcome to get yourself a bow and join us

2 If not, archers are now about 35% of the hunters but only kill something around 20% of the deer. Until we exceed 35% of the kill, they have nothing to complain about. They should get over it.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

If I ever have to kill A doe to earn A buck I will give it up and hunt Coyote's.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Still nobody has answered my question, if by some crazy reason this "Earn a buck" stupidity ever actually reaches a point where a vote is nedded to pass, how will they regulate it? I'll ask again, say I'm not drawn for doe tag, does that mean I can't hunt archery season? How will that fly with us 35%?

I'm not here to start "nagging" on the gun hunters,because I'm one myself, but the thought of earning a buck is one of the most ridiculos(sp) things I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

Thanks BTB for answering my question on what percentage we bowhunters are.

And lost horn, huntin' coyotes is freaking blast!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

And lost horn, huntin' coyotes is freaking blast!!!!!!
Yep, more fun than doe hunting.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:48 AM

btbowhunter
earn a buck is crap but i think you are right bring in archery 2 weeks early to allow for some
xtra doe's to be killed in areas that need it.