Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Alternatives to controlling deer pops

Old 01-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Alternatives to controlling deer pops

In my other thread related to this topic I didn't explain myself very well so hopefully this time it will be better.Before I ask the question here's alittle background on my past hunting experience.
I've been hunting white tails in PA for 30 years in various counties on state forest lands.So I have some knowledge on the deer populations and habitat in these areas.
As I posted before the average hunter is seeing 1-2 deer a day on these lands after a full day's hunt.There aren't too many people who would be satified with this hunting.I estimate the average DPSM on these lands at 8.
The numbers of hunters on these lands is dropping drastically within the last two years.I don't see how there will be enough hunters to reduce the herd at the levels the DCNR/PGC wants them.
So here's my question,what alternatives do you think the officials will use to keep the herd down if there's not enough hunters to do it?
I think contraception is heading our way.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alternatives to controlling deer pops

I estimate the average DPSM on these lands at 8.
If this is even really close to the deer density - Then its likely that 1/2 the current hunters in the area could keep the deer herd in check (given PA's current average hunter density of 22 hunters per square mile).

Its tough to look at averages - but I can 99.99% assure you that the State of PA - could not afford - and does not need to consider Deer Contraceptives - to manage the deer herd. That's just crazy - crazy talk!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

At this time it's expensive but as research goes on it will be cheaper.
They are already dishing out snipers for $20,000 a pop on small private parcells in Pitts and philly.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:15 PM

how are you going to get the condoms on the bucks?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 PM

States which have fewer hunters than pa simply up the bag limit. Many states allow multiple bucks and of course in pa we know multiple does.

Your mistake is that you have bought into the hype that hunters cannot control the pa herd, even with a few less hunters. We will lose some hunters as a result of the poorer hunting and being talked down to by conservationists, but we will still be able to keep the smaller herd stabilized with fewer hunters.

Contraceptives, sharpshooters are minority options since they are cost prohibitive.

How does Ark not only stabilize but reduce thier herd of a million whitetails? By allowing loooonnnggggg seasons and liberal bag limits.

They have no need for boogeymen arguments like contraceptives etc...
they do it just like Pa will with old fashioned hunters.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:48 PM

well said chickory. i agree 100% but i still want to know whos gonna put the condom on the buck? lol but seriouslly from what im getting out of the whole pa thing is that if there are too many deer and not enough hunters then why would they have any kind of deer restrictions?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

well said chickory. i agree 100% but i still want to know whos gonna put the condom on the buck
I cant help myself , This could be Alts new Job
Old 01-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

easy - shoot more doe

btw - i am happy any day in the woods when i see A deer (1 or 20); after the 1st 2 days of gun i saw 0 deer (~10 more days); and no I am not one to say the deer are all gone, herd is depleted, etc.; come ML season I saw ~15 deer in 2.5 days and my 2 buds saw ~15 combined
Old 01-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I think you are going to see a revisal of the old "Gov. hunter" AKA sniper on the PGC payroll sooner or later thruout the state in heqvily overpopulated areas...parks,sub divisions,etc.
But there is no cheaper more effective method of lowering numbers than sport hunting.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Germain, If the dpsm is 8 as you believe or even 12 as they say, they dont need to take any special measures to reduce the herd. As a mater of fact it needs to increased.

In any event, snipers, contraceptives, etc are a long way from feasible for a whole WMU.

Quick Reply: Alternatives to controlling deer pops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.