Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Drives NJ

Old 01-13-2005, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Deer Drives NJ

There are some real jerks out there, so i'd watch laughing at deer hunters when you run your beagles through WMA's during deer season. You may go home with a few less than what you started with,,,,
Not necessary......you would really shoot someones dog ? It is public land ....I had guys running dogs when I was in my ground blind for deer. Just chalked it up to a day in the woods & not in the office. After Wisconsin , aint nothing in the woods gonna piss me off enough to end up in a situation like that.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2005, 06:14 AM

you would really shoot someones dog
Me? NEVER! But i've heard of worse things happening....
Old 01-14-2005, 07:25 AM

[
[/quote]
I think the state needs to look at modifying the rules for driving otherwise not only will you have antis looking to stop it, you will have non hunters and sportsmen lobbying for it as well. It is time to look at the overall future of hunting in NJ and if it means altering a hunting method, that is better than no hunting at all.
Well put... My point precisely!! Urban sprawl isn't diminishing. Deer are adaptable by nature and flourish in suburban settings.. tactics of the century past may not be feasible or safe given the fact we pursue our sport in the most densely human populated state in the nation. As a group we must adapt with our tactics or we will lose what we have. Flexibility is the key.
Jim B.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:31 AM

Have you guys looked at any maps. The wmas of south jersey are huge. 640 acres is a sq. mile. Most if not all wma's in the south are 1000 + acres and most large deer drives are preformed in the Belleplain area. Yes, maybe they should limit drives to 3 of 6 days during 6 day season. I'm OK with that. Hunter should stand up for other hunter no matter if they use that method or not. The hunters never stood up for us trappers in the 80's and we losed the leg-hold. The the smallgame hunter bitched that there was no game do to the fox. People make rule and don't know the real deal. Have you ever seen a fox in a snare. It's no different then a leg hold just a different part of the body. Don't put something down until you know the real deal. I don't mean read about it or what somebody tells you. Give it a legitamate try. Then voice your view. Stopping deer drive because you don't do it. What if the deer drives wanted no stand hunting on certain days how would you stand hunters feel. ATTACKED! I hunt everything and all different ways. Variety is the spice of life. And for all the deer only people that ask me to take them rabbit hunting don't bitch when the rabbit only guy runs thruogh your ground. His season is way shorter then yours.

Till our trails cross,
Wild Works
ORIGINAL: NJBowman

Guys I think the more important point here is times are changing. With land getting smaller and homes being built close to alor of wmas and other public land. The complaints that come from clubs driving deer are becoming more frequent. There was a piece on channel 12 news about a school that would not let the kids go outside for recess because hunters were driving the woods by the school. By me this year a club had items thrown at their trucks in a parking lot by residents that followed them there after they were driving to close to their houses.
I think the state needs to look at modifying the rules for driving otherwise not only will you have antis looking to stop it, you will have non hunters and sportsmen lobbying for it as well. It is time to look at the overall future of hunting in NJ and if it means altering a hunting method, that is better than no hunting at all.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:43 AM

Checkout jersyhunters post on "anybody out this am" I guess deer drives are needed.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: RAY WOODROW 3RD

Fellow hunters please don't take this with any disrespect but.....

My license fees pay for "public land" just like yours do.
If I get together with a group of guys (I belong to a club that pushes zone 21 and 24) and push a piece of land that is public so be it. Deal with it. It's my land too as you can tell by the "public" in "public lands".

RW3
RW, the problem is that when a big club drives public land, they actually take over that property at the expense of other hunters who also paid for it. If you are really serious about sharing public land, because we all do pay for it, then driving should not be permitted for the first two or three days of buck week, and maybe only after 12 noon during antlerless seasons. That would allow all hunters to use public lands, rather than just the clubs who come in and take over the woods. The way it is now, gun hunters who don't belong to a club, don't have much of an opportunity to hunt the lands they pay for either.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunter should stand up for other hunter no matter if they use that method or not. The hunters never stood up for us trappers in the 80's and we losed the leg-hold. The the smallgame hunter bitched that there was no game do to the fox. People make rule and don't know the real deal.
Well said. If legholds were allowed I'd still be trapping.[&o]
Old 01-14-2005, 10:06 AM

Here, where I'm from in south jersey it's like next of kin. If your not from here then you are an outsider. Just as if, I hunted in your back yard. You don't have to be in good shape to sit on your a** in a deer stand. Put your boots on and walk a mile in my meadow muskratting let's see what your made of.
Been there, done that. Born and raised in good old SJ.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Wish it still was. Snaring isn't that bad though. Just different.
ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

Hunter should stand up for other hunter no matter if they use that method or not. The hunters never stood up for us trappers in the 80's and we losed the leg-hold. The the smallgame hunter bitched that there was no game do to the fox. People make rule and don't know the real deal.
Well said. If legholds were allowed I'd still be trapping.[&o]

Quick Reply: Deer Drives NJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.