Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Spike

Default RE: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

We have 3 outofstaters that hunt from our camp. one from Fla., one from Miss., and one from NJ. All 3 will be coming back next year. Only complaint's I heard was "it's @$&%*#! cold up here", "when did they make this mountain steeper", and "I shoulda brought my other rifle". One of the 3 got a nice 9pt. and one missed 2 doe.
It would seem when you block out all the complaints you read on a couple of these sites, which are usually the same guy with several names; and talk to actual hunters in the field, AR's seem to be well accepted. I can't tell you how often I heard the response "I don't mind the higher restriction, it's the doe tags that need cut back". I think there was initial reluctance a couple of years ago, but since then I believe alot of people have learned more about them and have realized they're a good thing. Plus they've seen some of the early results. It's mostly the old timers that are afraid of change, even if it's a good change. But as the hunter numbers decline, which they were doing before raising the restriction and will continue to do, irrelevant of any regulation; those are the hunters that will quit hunting for health reasons.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA outdoor magazine had an article about this.They're flooded with letters about deer management and a big majority is against herd reduction as it's done today.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:45 PM

It's really simple what side your on (for or against HR/AR) depending whether your area has seen the massive doe kills or not.
My guess is that the ones in favor of HR/AR either have their own protected deer on private property or their area hasn't reach the desired doe kill.
The average hunter that's against HR/AR does not want to shoot a spike or see a deer behind every tree.They'd just like to see some deer.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The average hunter that's against HR/AR does not want to shoot a spike or see a deer behind every tree.They'd just like to see some deer.
And there it is.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just hope that all the people who shoot yearling deer dont become beef farmers. Because when you butcher them when they are calves you wont make much profit.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bullmoose38

I just hope that all the people who shoot yearling deer dont become beef farmers. Because when you butcher them when they are calves you wont make much profit.

i agree. i dont think people should shoot yearling deer. i dont really like people shooting button bucks. i can see if it is a mistake, but blatenly shooting button bucks just to fill doe tags is unexcusable. i also dont think people should shoot real young does (that you can almost see the spots on)

btw i agree with ar's, but i think they could be tweaked a tad to be better, starting with making the NW part of the state 3 pt. have you ever tried to find a 7 pt buck out here during deer season? it doesnt happen often.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:45 AM

im done with pa deer hunting but ill still waterfowl
Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM

good hope none of you come back more bucks for me!!, no seriusly though i think what the PGC did was great for our state
Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Yawn.....younguns taste good...