Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Anyone with the least bit of common sense would realize that a 1.5 6 or 8 pt. has expressed greater genetic potentual for rapidly developing big racks than a 1.5 spike. All the studies show that it takes the 1.5 spike 2 or 3 years to equal the 1.5 6 or 8PT., so that fact by itself makes the spike ,on average the inferior buck.
To use your words:

WRONG!!

Studies show a buck doesnt reach its full potential until 3.5 to 5.5 and that a 1.5 spike can have equal or better genes than some 1.5 8 points.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM

doesn't much matter what genes they carry when a 6 pt, 1.5 yr old is hanging from a meatpole...does it. And hunters in Pa will be patient they'll bide their time till ARs are scraped an spikes are legal once more
Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably the biggest influence on the size of a bucks first rack is what point in the fawning season they were dropped the year before. Late comers have less time to grow their bodies and less nutrients will go to antler production. Another factor is nutrition while still in the womb. Over crowding places nutritive stress on the does which affects buck fawn antler development down the line. This is where Alts plan comes in. One aspect of his reasoning was that if we harvested the does before the rut, there would be a more condensed breeding because of the higher number of bucks that could get the job done sooner. this would translate into an earlier drop which would give the fawns a head start the next year. The fawns would go into winter much bigger and healthier, Male and female alike. This in turn would make for MUCH healthier 1.5 year old deer the next year. Too bad the spike hunters turned it into a trophy issue. Yes they would have bigger antlers, but healthier deer do that. Now we could be heading back to the days of the anti-trophy. (spikes)
Everyone knows how healthy a spike must be...."Look at that healthy spike!"
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM

liv: I can't honestly say as I recall how healty a spike was or not but I do recall that when mixed with 15% pork trimmings and some seasoning then stuffed in casings those spikes were just as tasty as any rack buck I've killed.........even better if I just came out a some wild pipe stuffings patch with buzz flies in my head!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTB and liv explained that nicely for me thanks.

There's not enough bucks, AR or not to fill all the buck tags sold too so what does that mean. NOTHING.

So you have used a numerical expression to describe an amount of something your entire life????

You really like to annoy people don't you?????
Old 01-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes he does. He is an angry little man.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:33 PM

Probably the biggest influence on the size of a bucks first rack is what point in the fawning season they were dropped the year before. Late comers have less time to grow their bodies and less nutrients will go to antler production. Another factor is nutrition while still in the womb
Can you produce a link to any study that shows that the date of birth is correlated to the number of points a 1.5 buck produces as a 1.5. Are all 1.5 8 pts. born before the 1.5 6 pt. and are all AR legal 5 pts. born before every 1.5 spike? Obviously we are talking about bucks from the same area, which means we can also eliminate the effects of differences in nutrition

Over crowding places nutritive stress on the does which affects buck fawn antler development down the line. This is where Alts plan comes in. One aspect of his reasoning was that if we harvested the does before the rut, there would be a more condensed breeding because of the higher number of bucks that could get the job done sooner.
The herd in 2 G is now 3 DPSM below it's goal OWDD and it has been at or below it's OWDD gaol since 1989. However, it still has one of the lowest recruitment rates of any WMU and has a higher percentage of 1.5 spikes than many WMU's that are double or triple their OWDD goals.

If the date of birth is the reason why 1.5 bucks are spikes why does it take them three years to simply equal a 1.5 6 or 8 pt. If the spike had superior genes he would be equal in just two years and exceed the 8 pt. in the third year.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:33 PM

Pa will be patient they'll bide their time till ARs are scraped an spikes are legal once more
And before you said you liked AR.
Sounds like your just looking for someone to argue with. Do you even hunt?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:38 PM

BTB and liv explained that nicely for me thanks.

Yes, but it is to bad they were wrong.

So you have used a numerical expression to describe an amount of something your entire life????
When discussing scientific der management it is better to rely on the scince of numbers to describe things , rather than relying on personal opinions.
BTW, I agree QS,Alt is an angry little man.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, but it is to bad they were wrong
proof please, independent proof!

When discussing scientific der management it is better to rely on the scince of numbers to describe things , rather than relying on personal opinions.
I think I'm beginning to understand some of your number crunching now. If you hit the numbers on your calculator as accurately as you hit the letters on your keyboard it becomes easier to understand your conclusions.
(see above)

Quick Reply: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.