Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Well said Rybo!

Pa will never be a big buck state but we can certainly continue to strive for a deer herd that is in balance with the habitat and in B/D balance.

Oh, and a by product is a few more mature bucks out there! Deal!

The only down side is a few less deer in the big woods.... Deal!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vtbuckrulrss

the biggest reason that ar's bother me is this: as you well know, hunting deer in vermont can be tough, i am sure that we both know people that no matter what, can't seem to see a buck, or any deer for that matter to save their lives. let's say that they only are a rifle hunter, which for those that don't know this means for example that in vt., we can only shoot a buck with at least one antler measuring 3'". i think it a bunch of crap that for that person, when the moment arrives that they finally do see a buck, if it doesn't meet the ar criteria, they go home emptyhanded. while they can up their chances by trying different methods, such as a bow, of hunting, not everyone does. personally, i rarely have a freezer without venison, but i have a friend that is my age, 36, and has only put a tag on one deer in over 20 years of hunting, and he rifle, bow, and muzzleloads. if we had the kind of population problem pa does, with many doe tags given out, perhaps i wouldn't hate ar's and the thought of them, i would be at least able to shoot a doe for the freezer. but i think it is wrong for the elite few with enough money in their pockets that they can push their ajenda(?) through a state agency just for the sake of being able to put another head on the wall, when the only good reason for ar's to me is to keep the herd healthy. and so far, from what i have read, it hasn't convinced me that ar's were put in place in pa for anything other than the greed of a few, dr. alt included.
What you are saying here makes a lot more sense to me than your first post. I do however hope that Vermont does something soon about their deer herd. I still take deer every year in Vermont (one buck during rifle season this year and one doe during archery) but there is certainly major issues with low deer numbers, and a serious problem with buck/doe ratios.......makes PA look like texas when compared to VT. It makes no sense to me that you can legaly take 3 bucks a year in this state........thats craziness when it is something like 1 in 12 people here are successful with no AR's. I hope it is reduced to 1 buck per year, and I wouldn't mind seeing AR's come into affect with the ability to only take 2 deer per year. I hope to see AR's not only for bigger bucks, but so that there is at least a protected group of bucks that can breed. I know there are a lot of does that don't get bred in VT, this year I saw at least 5 different adult does with no fawns, and about 4 does that did have fawns. That is not good at all and in my opinion is a direct result of not enough bucks. I also wouldn't mind going without a buck for a few years so that hopefully the buck population can be rebuilt in Vermont. Where I hunt, in most areas you are looking at 1 buck taken per square mile which is awfully low. I hunt a farm that is approx 900 acres that is surrounded by alfalfa, apples, and swampland (absolute prime picture perfect deer habitat) and I took the only buck on that property this year, and no one else even saw a buck during hunting season. I did see a few other bucks during archery season but passed them up because they were small and I would rather shoot a doe than a spike. It will be interesting to see what happens with regulations in Vermont for the new year.

Edit - It's a shame that you live so far north in VT, if your ever in the Rutland area on a weekend let me know and maybe we can meet up for a beer! I wish I knew other hunters in this part of the state.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM

When you let bucks age and reach thier potential, then you are letting them sort out the best genes to pass on. We shoot nearly all our bucks before that is able to happen in this state
Explain how the deer are going to sort out the best genes when we harvested the buck with the best genes as 1.5 buck and harvested the vast majority of the 2.5+ buck with the best genes . harvesting the best bucks in each age class destroys the positive effects of dominant breeding.

PA did have tons of does and that was offered in exchange for not getting to shoot any little buck, you could shoot a doe for meat.
Wrong!!! PA always had alot of anterless deer and the B/D ratio in the anterless herd as approx. 1:3. We are now harvesting a higher perentage of our buck as anterless deer than ever before and that is why the buck harvest decreased by 30% after just 2 years of AR.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Dead: I wonder how these guys do math when the checkbook needs balanceing? They just don't understand the concept of XX-X = X like you said in an earlier post most any high school senior could figure it out . little wonder they got scammed by Cut N Run
Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you pass a calculator?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 PM

You don't need a calculator to figure out that less deer = less deer.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't need a calculator to figure out that less deer = less deer.
Everyone here know that less deer=less deer. The difference is that some just cant accept it.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

You didn't harvest the best gened 1.5 year old. Just because it had a bigger 1st year rack doesn;t mean it was better gened. Not every deer is born at the exact same time. I early born buck, is going to be bigger than a late born one 99% of the time.

Our rifle season is AFTER most of the breeding is occured so the genes still get passed on.

quote:

PA did have tons of does and that was offered in exchange for not getting to shoot any little buck, you could shoot a doe for meat.

Wrong!!! PA always had alot of anterless deer and the B/D ratio in the anterless herd as approx. 1:3. We are now harvesting a higher perentage of our buck as anterless deer than ever before and that is why the buck harvest decreased by 30% after just 2 years of AR.
WTF do mean WRONG!?!?! There were lots of does.....the PGC said here are some extra doe tags so that when whiny hunters couldn't shoot "thier" buck, they were pretty much garunteed a doe tag to fill. I typed this slow, so hopefully you understand what I am saying.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:14 AM

less deer = less deer = hunting MAJORITY revolt = infamous Dr. Alt canned
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 AM

You didn't harvest the best gened 1.5 year old. Just because it had a bigger 1st year rack doesn;t mean it was better gened. Not every deer is born at the exact same time. I early born buck, is going to be bigger than a late born one 99% of the time.

Anyone with the least bit of common sense would realize that a 1.5 6 or 8 pt. has expressed greater genetic potentual for rapidly developing big racks than a 1.5 spike. All the studies show that it takes the 1.5 spike 2 or 3 years to equal the 1.5 6 or 8PT., so that fact by itself makes the spike ,on average the inferior buck.

WTF do mean WRONG!?!?! There were lots of does.....the PGC said here are some extra doe tags so that when whiny hunters couldn't shoot "thier" buck, they were pretty much garunteed a doe tag to fi
They were guaranteed an anterless tag , but there weren't enough mature doe to fill 1 M anterless tags.

BTW, just how many is ,"lots of does." Do doe come in lots? Is that an accepted scientific term commonly used by Alt to misrepresent the B/D .ratio?

Quick Reply: how many won't hunt PA again bc/ of ar's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.