Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

insight trickling out...

Old 01-06-2005, 08:18 AM

Default insight trickling out...

NOTE: Quote attributed to Gary Alt
"Alt said a major problem is that the Game Commission is funded almost entirely by fees on hunters.

"That agency won't be able to function properly when the hunters are funding it entirely," Alt said. "Only after you get broader-based funding will you get broader-based representation
."

Although Dr. Alt had once said that education was the key to pa wildlife management... he apparently thought changing the way the PGC is funded is the key. He would like hunters out of the equation, and have the PGC funded by a mix of non-sportsmens dollars and hunters dollars so that the biologists can dictate to the state what will be in wildlife management.

Many had always thought Alt was rather arrogant towards hunters, but now it seems his motives were very real in taking the power away from hunters to have influence in the wildlife management of the state (even though for 100 years SPORTSMEN have paid the bills in pa, and the state would not assist us with any tax dollars even for NON-GAME species).

I have to laugh at those people who thought Dr. Alt was just trying to make hunters see "more and bigger bucks", while he was trying to get Audubon, Conservancies, timber companies, pa legislators, DCNR, and anyone BUT hunters involved in dictating how deer hunting will be in pa..... hehehehe....

Man, there were a lot of hunters in pa who got punk'd !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former deer management head says he couldn't take Game Commission anymore

Associated Press

SCRANTON, Pa. - Gary Alt, who recently left his job as supervisor of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's deer management section, said he left because of his frustration with a "broken system."

Alt's departure on Friday at the age of 53 was described as a retirement, but Alt said he was leaving because a core group of well-organized hunters was limiting his ability to manage deer.

"I always said I would leave if I became ineffective, and I became ineffective. I did not want to take money from any employer if I couldn't deliver the services," Alt told The Tribune of Scranton.

In the job he started in 1999, Alt wrote measures designed to increase the number of large bucks and harvest more doe. His policies angered hunters because they lowered the overall deer population to maintain the habitat.

Alt maintains that the state's deer herd has been too large for more than 80 years, reducing plant diversity and the land's ability to sustain a variety of wildlife.

"It makes no more sense to let the deer herd go out of control than it does to allow pollutants to go into a stream," he said.

Alt said a major problem is that the Game Commission is funded almost entirely by fees on hunters.

"That agency won't be able to function properly when the hunters are funding it entirely," Alt said. "Only after you get broader-based funding will you get broader-based representation."

Game Commissioner Stephen Mohr said he receives about 50 complaints a day from hunters about the size of the deer herd.

"I think they'll either be repealed voluntarily or they'll be repealed forcibly," said Mohr, who supports antler restrictions, but not Alt's other regulations. "The hunters are not going to stand idle any longer."

Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser said the agency won't know what direction it will take for this year's hunting season until commissioners meet from Jan. 22 to Jan. 25 to set preliminary bag limits and dates for deer season. The final decisions will be set when the board meets in April."
Old 01-06-2005, 08:47 AM

Default RE: insight trickling out...

Now that Dr. Alt has said what he really wanted in no uncertain terms going public with it in the newspaper. It sure makes those guys that slandered bad mouthed threatened, etc. anyone whom saw through his hores & pony show from the begining look foolish doesn't it?
Just stop and think for a few mintues, NOW that we know the truth about Alt (since his retirement enabled him to speak freely) and how the PGC did their best to keep it from all sportsmen/women in Pa. EVERYONEshould be wondering just how much more the PGC is not telling us.
Go to the Jan 23,24,25 meetings DEMAND answers, sportsmen still pay the bills. And it is the sportsman whom the PGC owe explinations to!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:48 AM

I am stunned Dr. Alt wanted the PGC funded by nonhunters so that they get a bigger say in Pa than hunters do.

I did know that he took 1.3 million dollars in anonymous donations funneled through Ron Freed at Audubon, but he told Kip Adams that he just did not want to ask hunters to fund the studies to cut thier own herd in half, so he went around them. But now....... with the stunning admission that he wants hunters relegated to the back of the bus as second class citizens is just apalling.

What a turn of events in pa, I never thought I would see this.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Chickory you haven't seen the half of it yet! Wait till it comes out whom is pushing for the Fish/Game merger and why. that issue is not as dead as some would like you to think it is.
I've noticed no posts from all the "Alties" on this admission of his agenda. Must be so stunned they swallowed all that crow without chewing it!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW ,cant believe he said that
Old 01-06-2005, 11:22 AM

my uncle knows him an his ex pretty well, he's said many times right here on this forum that Alt couldn't be trusted and all he got for saying the truth was lip service from the Altie bunch that post here over and over again. Heoften posted saying how Alt was in bed with the flower sniffers,etc.
Alt is not only Cut n Run he also is now waving it under the hunters in Pa noses how he had little use for them.
you sporting $$ at work
Old 01-06-2005, 11:26 AM

You guys are truly unbelievable. [:@]
Alt went outside to get funds and views because he knew the SLOB hunters of PA wouldn't stand for a smaller, healthier herd. These deer DO NOT belong only to you just because you have a license to shoot one. He wanted biologists to help make decisions for the betterment of the herd and the hunter. What a crime! He should of just taken a poll of all the know-it-alls around here and he would of gotten all the answers he needed. More deer, more deer, more deer. Its about time you Alt haters take a long look in the mirror and see how greedy you have become. It's a shame when a bunch of arm charm biologists force a man out of a his job for wanting to help us manage the deer we ALL love to watch and hunt.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM

I'd say he cut his own throat. when you have any org. that is being 99% funded by one group and you work for that group it isn't the wisest thing to not try and keep the MAJORITY of that group happy
Old 01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was holding off comment till this little clip could be verified. Chicory, you already added quote marks where they didnt exist in the link you posted. That link looks like a "summary" of a larger article. So were dealing with at least third hand information here iIF we assume the original article was correct. I'm not saying it's not true, but how many of us really trust the media???

The quotes here raise some questions to be sure but untill we can be sure what was really said and by whom its just conjecture or propaganda.

I personally heard Gary Alt promise to quit if the PGC wouldnt let him do his job the right way at a meeting 5 years ago. Looks like he's a man of his word if this article is accurate.

Yes, hunters fund the PGC but what about the non hunting farmer, landowner, homeowner, and yes timber co that provides the habitat and the food for the deer herd. What about the non hunting taxpayers who feed the deer on Federal and SDtate forest land. They dont buy licenses, but, rest assured that they have a say here too. Without em, we have no deer.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:01 PM

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/times...l/10579930.htm

Here ya' go sport!

It was posted by deadeer before I posted my quote of his thread.

Read on....

Quick Reply: insight trickling out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.