Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa. hunting report from friend

Old 01-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default pa. hunting report from friend

I talked to a friend of mine about the deer season. He & his 2 sons all took bucks & a few does. My friend hunted the first day & part of 2 sats. He saw 60 some deer 9 bucks with 4 or more points. This was on 2 different properties yes its private land but its open to anyone that asks. If you ask me the property is over hunted 2. I use to hunt this land before alt. took over & u would see 80 deer on the first day & be lucky to see a spike. The deer were small & unhealthy. Now their big & healthy.

SHOOT MATURE DEER LET THE YOUNG 1S WALK!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:14 PM

Default RE: pa. hunting report from friend

I have to say that I saw more deer this year then in most. I also hunted 6 of the 12 days of rifle season. I think that people that aren't seeing the deer are either not hunting hard or are not hunting in productive areas.

I hunt in Somerset County and the opening day I saw six deer and that is alot for me. The next day I saw the largest live buck I've ever seen. If he would have taken one more step forward I would have had a shot. I did take two doe during the two weeks.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that all of this was on public land.

Just my 0.02

Peter
Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have a "friend" that says he hunted all archery,MZ,Sr. doe,and 2 weeks in Rifle and only saw 7 deer total, 3 of which were spikes.
Just exactly what are you trying to prove?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM

Uly...stop listening to your "friends" and put on your boots and go in the woods and see for yourself what all the talk is about...and don't be afraid....someone shot the boogy-man back in 74' that lived in your area. It's all safe now. Trust me.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

no matter what anybody says, U-dog isn't gonna change his mind.

Back in 1910, he walked into the bushes and didn't see any deer. Ever since, he's been droning about deer becoming extinct and secret agents in black helicopters.

Ulysses - I think I owe you an apology. I've poked some fun at you, usually in good humor, but I must respect your views. Right or wrong, you're only looking out for the next generation, and that's the kind of foresight that I've grown to appreciate. All too often, we get carried away with the in & now, and lose sight of the big picture.

While you and I differ fundamentally with our proposed approaches as far as herd management goes, we all seek the same goal - good hunting for the next generation.

All said, I still think you are in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's.

just kiddin
Old 01-04-2005, 01:37 PM

LMAO
Old 01-04-2005, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter60

I talked to a friend of mine about the deer season. He & his 2 sons all took bucks & a few does. My friend hunted the first day & part of 2 sats. He saw 60 some deer 9 bucks with 4 or more points. This was on 2 different properties yes its private land but its open to anyone that asks. If you ask me the property is over hunted 2. I use to hunt this land before alt. took over & u would see 80 deer on the first day & be lucky to see a spike. The deer were small & unhealthy. Now their big & healthy.

SHOOT MATURE DEER LET THE YOUNG 1S WALK!!!

If you and your 'friend' are seeing that many then you are in a good spot and I say good for you.

You saw quite a few last year too in Ny as you posted before;
"I've been hunting 4 over 30 yrs. mostly in pa. & ny. I don't know why anyone would want to go back to the days of seeing 80 to 100 deer on the first day & be lucky to see a spike. The same area I,m talking about I saw 37 deer 8 of witch were bucks the first day this year. "

And you saw plenty this season as well.

"Our season started on friday . I've hunted a total of 6 hrs in not the best of conditions. I've had 5 different bucks with in 15 yards & saw 2 of the bucks twice. "

So you and your 'friend' should be pleased that where you hunt the population is remarkably high, probably 3-4 times over the reccomended deer density according to some state DNR's, yet as many parts of pa are seeing and harvesting less....you two are seeing more and more.

Truly remarkable, your trend in sightings. I would say you and your 'friend' are very lucky.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 PM

chickory.....i would say they scouted......
Old 01-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I spent 311 hours in the woods this year. Kept a good log. On the handicap hunt on private Electric company land where hunting is only allowed 1 day a year. In 4 hours I seen 46 buck and near a hundred doe.Everyone was fat. On other open private land I seen a total of 17 deer and some could of been the same ones from day to day. out of the 17, 4 were little buck.Some of the property was bow only hunting areas. And this was in The berks,Chester and lancaster counties.Counties that everyone thinks is full of deer. The only amount of deer I seen in 300 hours was on that electric company land. What was suprising the deer looked healthy on that property. It was around 1100 acres and the electric company said there is around 800 deer on the property. Just really puzzled me.Then I remembered Iowa. 50 to 60 deer a day half shooter bucks. The only thing that was the same as the electric company and the Iowa land was both had good food for the deer. I believe any place can have lots of deer with a 1 to 3 ratio if we supply the food. I did not hunt any public lands and have not in years and never will. Pa has just become a mess of developments,yuppie homes taking up open hunting land and the PGC and the cheap pa hunter refuses to spend money to plant more agricultural areas. Look how the farmers in lancaster county has cleared property in the past 200 years and made a food mecca. I think they just went to far . But the northen part of Pa can be aggressivly approached and become a area that more farming can be applied to the SGL's. You all should see blue marsh area in Berks. The state land is leased to farmers and it is a perfect example what should be done elsewhere in the state. I will just concentrate next year finding several special handicap hunts and if God willing in the future move to another state and buy property i can afford and do my own thing. I Have come to the point I have just about give up on Pa. The SE. area losssing property to homes and the mountains loosing deer. A lost cause and dim future ay my age. I will just make a change. This year made me happy I was disabled and always will be. I had a great hunt on that electric company property and it boosted my mental atate even if I would of never shot one. WOW 46 buck. OK now you can attack me and say I'm stupid. I dont care. One thing I learned over the years. I dont care what people think of my opinions, I dont care. I march to my tune thats all that matters to me. And I dont wear socks,under pants and never will. You dont like it tough. but I know what I have seen in 45 years of hunting. Experience and 12000 plus hours of hunting in my life time has set my opinions with my own eyes.Not some desk jokey with a degree.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Chickory well said, I'd say it's time to break out the waders!

Quickie: you're all right pard. You know my hunting career is nearing the end. But still if I wanted to shoot a deer even a decent buck it is no more trouble than standing in the barn an waiting till one comes down off the mountain to feed in the meadow. I do it each fall no big deal anymore. I'm blessed with having enough of my own land which I have shared over all my life with other less fortunate hunters.
I'm fortunate that I am able to hunt in 5 different states/prov. each fall. Doing so has taught me that deer hunting here in Pa is not the glamourous outing I once thought it to be.
But you are correct, if some of us don't make some drastic changes the current method of deer management here in Pa will see an end to deer hunting by the time my grand kids are my age. What steps do the PGC take to make it more lucrative for landowners like myself to keep their lands open? They do less now than years ago and that was nearly nothing.
Like I have offered before stop in, have a cup of coffee when you're up my way. Gentleman are always welcome on Windy Knoll Farms. Uly

Quick Reply: pa. hunting report from friend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.