Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

Old 01-02-2005, 08:20 AM

Default RE: GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Doe license reductions are inevitable but the concurrent seasons will likely remain.
ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Why would you say that when the PGC has said that the harvest of 352K anterless didn't reduce the herd and the 2003 harvest of 323K anterless only kept the herd stable? Why would the PGC reduce anterless allocations if after two years of 1M anterless tags and two years of record anterless harvests the PGC is still claiming we have had zero HR?
Why would I say that? Cmon! Everyone realizes that sooner or later, HR will have an effect. If, as I think you're implying HR has already had a real effect, then we'll see a drop in doe harvest numbers. We've all heard claims for years (since the first bonus tags came out) that the doe are being wiped out yet the kill numbers continue to indicate otherwise. Sooner or later, the kill will drop or level off and at that point antlerless tags will have to be cut.

I'm not going to wade into the whole fray about whether Alt ruined Pa deer hunting, but I don't think you can count on this line of thinking BT. It's been my experience that once they open it up like this (at least in my state), they never back down. We have excellent habitat in my area of NJ that used to support 40 deer per square mile, with no habitat problems. They wanted to reduce the herd because, primarily, of farmer complaints. The herd was reduced, down to the point the QDMA and state of NJ estimate the population to be 12 to 15 DPSM, yet they have not backed off of our "no limit" on does, or extended firearm antlerless seasons. In my opinion, there would have to be a tremendous drop in harvest numbers (like maybe 50 to 60 percent) for them to back off the antlerless tags. Otherwise, it's not seen as a problem. A deer herd can rebound within a few years when seasons are severely restricted. It's much easier to allow the population to rise, than it is to reduce it.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 AM

Only buying 1 doe tag won't fly here while tags remain so plentiful, why? 'cause as long as you have kids with the mentality to post 1 1/2 yr old doe pics to boast about you'll have the same wannabe types claiming I got itchy fingers to , if I kill a few more doe there'll be MonsterBucks for the club filling the void....fool's logic promoted by the food plot crowd
Ulysses,

As far as the pictures go, have you ever been proud of a deer you killed? Have you ever taken a picture of it and wanted to share it with others? Grow up.

Your points of view have been changing so much in the past couple weeks that it is hard to keep up with you, so lets set some records straight.

#1. You bad-mouth guys who hunt on private land. Well, you will openly admitt that all the bucks you have killed in PA have been killed off your farm (if you own it, it is private land). Seems a little funny to me that you can put others down for killing deer off private property then you boast about how you have killed an antler buck off your private property every year!

#2. You complain about guys who plant food plots. Question, does your farm have any crops planted on it? If so, that acts as a food plot. What is the differance between a hunter going to a farm and hunting over a cut-corn field and a guy planting a food plot on his property and hunting over it? What do you want to see done, do you want all food plots, crop fields, apple orchards, and oak trees stripped from the woods so the deer have nothing to eat but browse because that will give everyone a level playing ground?

#3. You have stated that you were a Alt supporter in the beginning. Well, since day one, you have been on this message board bashing Alt every chance you have got. So when exactly did you support him?

#4. You have made comments about "horn hunters" and bashed them up one wall and down another. Well, it seems as though you were the one that was bragging about these "booners" you have on your wall. You are also the one that has called does consoltation prizes, and you are the one that would rather shoot a button buck before a doe.

#5. You claim everyone to be somebody elses alias. Well lets see, how many alias's do we know that you have had...... LegendLS, Lockhorns, BuffaloHunter, and Ulysses. It also appears that you could have added wingbar to that.

#6. You act as you are trying to look out for the deer herd and you want to see improvements in it, yet you belittle people who are trying to help the habitat where they are so that it gives more food to the deer.

#7. You criticize me for posting pictures of "1.5 year old" doe (sorry bud, only one of those was a 1.5 year old, the rest were 2.5), yet you brag up shooting 0.5 year old bucks..... yep, that almost makes sense.

#8. You play the card for the public land hunters. You will sit there and defend them and tell everyone that they need to take a walk on a SGL, yet like I mentioned above, you have admitted to killing every buck you have shot off your property. Sounds like you don't spend too much time hunting anywhere but your farm, yet you tell others that they should get out of their normal spots and hunt elsewhere.

#9. You talk about people needing to look at herd reductions statewide, but yet when somebody talks about their area still having an overpopulation you bash them down for killing a doe. Seems as though you need to look at the big picture.

#10. You talk about how PA has less hunters, yet you are the guy who is talking others into posting their land and you want to give all hunters a black eye by taking a doe into the PGC meeting with a ridiculous sign on it. Now tell me, who is really hurting the sport of hunting.

Your point of views don't represent what you have said, never have and probablly never will. You do nothing but bash people even if they are in the same exact situation as you. You have been on this board from the beginning trying to belittle people and that is exactly why you where banned from it in the beginning. Try doing something constructive for once. Vent to the PGC and to the higher ups instead of doing nothing but bash other hunters. You act like you care about the deer herd, but your bashing doesn't show that. The sad thing is that you play to what a certain group of hunters wants to hear, even if it is the exact opposite of what you do, then when the next group shows, you play to them. Give me a break.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:03 AM

Using methods from 20 years ago is what got us here. Under the present circumstances, the antlerless kill is very relevant. It only stands to reason that if too many does are being killed, eventually the doe kill will crash.
The article by DR. Rosenberry was not from 20 years ago it was from 2002. But , you are in denial and i really don't expect you to accept anything that disproves your biased opinions.

But, for the benefit of the few that still have open minds on the subject of HR, here is something to think about. With 1.6 M PS deer ,we would have approx. 250K antlered deer and 1.35M anterless deer. Prior to AR hunters would harvest 80% or 200K of the antlered deer , but only 300+K or 22% of the anterless deer. So even though there are 5 times as many anterless deer as antlered deer we harvest a relatively small percentage of the anterless population. If hunters increased the harvest rate for anterless deer from 22% to 50%, it would only require a PS poulation of 600K anterless deer to produce a harvest of 300K. So the PS anterless population could decline by more than 50% ,without decreasing the anterless harvest at all.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

While I can not say that I've never taken a picture of a deer that I killed , I can honestly say i've never snapped a shutter on a doe
#1. the bucks I've killed in Pa have been killed on my farm, land that I do indeed own but remained UNPOSTED since 1941 thru 2003
#2 I have never planted any crops to intentionally sit over an kill deer, unfortunately I must plant them to sell to feed my wife and myself
#3 When I was stupid enough to think he was being straight with us sportsmen/women that he really was just lying to
#4Correct I have a couple booners, 2 from Pa that were killed while I was hunting just any buck. also I chose to pass on does an kill BB cause of the offspring does give. I"ve been around animals enough to know 1 male will breed all the femnales in his home area. Be it deer, cows, pigs,tc. Also why do we frown killing hen, mallards, hen turkey etc. in a breeding population but see no harm in killing does pre rut in WMU where the HR has devistated the deer population?
$5Wingbar excues him he suffers the arrogance of ignorance
#6 I belittle those whom kill doe where not needed just to save food for bucks
#7 see #4
$8 My farm in 3A borders one of the largest GL in the state as well as my farm in 3B
$9 I have many times stated I am only concered an speak of the WMU that I own land in 3A 3B 5C
#10 We have begun posting, now nearly 4000 acres of us landowners, as a direct result of Alt/PGC deer management of killing too many does . Alt promised cutbacks in doe tags in 3A & 3B when HR met it's goals. The cuts have not come. Allegheny Partners has given a 6DSM report for the section of 3A we live in that OW in the '03-'04 winter that is down from 26 DSM in '00-'01 STILL no cuts in doe tags. AP, LTD is a timber company an even they are saying there are too few deer!

I'll give no horn hunter a break as long as they support over killing doe to feed their egos , and I suggest you open your own eyes...to the fact that this group of hunters that you claim I'm preaching to are just as disgusted with the lack of deer in their WMU hunting area as I am!

all this typing has made me hungry, think I'll go eat some BUTTON BUCK jerky!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ulysses, I believe whether youwere trying or not, you basically stated in yout post above that:
You have been hunting a private farm since 1941..??
You plant crops on that farm...?? (and these are different than foodplots?)
You have some sick pride in killing buttonbucks....

Maybe Wingbar can come by and defend you?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

he might but that's his choice,
Private land I own but open for hunting to the public since 1901 when my dad bought it till 2003 when Alt issued too many permits so i posted it
I do not plant food plots to hunt over I farm for a living BIIGGGG differenece if you can't see it that shows your ethics
I'll kill every BB I can, most arten't needed in a healthy herd and the meat is the best ( did it suddenly become illegal to kill BB in Pa?)