Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

Old 01-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

The PGC still operates with too large of WMU they even admit that. Why hasn't the original plan of smaller boundry lines for all WMU been set forth?
the fact is they can not manage them, the reson is the APPOINTED board members can't manage much, other than try to keep Rendell from reappointing someone else with recreation in mind rather than hunting.

I can't say I disagree with you, but that proves my point that Alt wasn't the only PGC official who was at fault with some of the planning. There are others who need to be held accountable.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even if the OW herd is reduced to 750K, from the current 1.1M, there will still be approx. 750K anterless deer in the PS populations , so the anterless harvests may remain relatively high if the PGC continues the high anterless allocations. Anterless harvests are not a reiable indicator of the number of deer present.
Antlerless harvests arent a reliable indicator???? How do you back that up? And please cite a credible source, not your own "calculations"
Old 01-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-01-2005, 03:55 PM

I think PA should go to a 8pt limit and 3 day doe season for few years. Also lower the doe tag allocations. 8pt rule for every hunter. Lets get some deer worth harvesting around the woods. Educate the hunters as to deer age and start shooting 4 year deer not yearling. No one is starving here so lets get some trophies so a young hunter can harvest a monster and spread the excitement to other children. I am not saying a deer or any sex or size is not a trophy, I am just saying we in pa have come this far so lets grow some big bucks!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:57 PM

I agree with you. Dont kill to say you got one, that does not make you a man or a hunter. Hunt for the sport and the satisfying feeling you get wrapping your hands around a 150 b/c class buck on a fair chase hunt!! LET THE YOUNG BUCKS LIVE AND LET SOME DOES WALK
Old 01-01-2005, 06:57 PM

n fact a study done by Pa GC showed through gps tracking that a majority of the hunters tracked traveled less than 100 yds to hunt and complained of not seeing deer. While the group that traveled over 200 yds saw plenty of deer and harvested nice bucks.
Can you explain how those lazy worthless PA hunters that didn't walk more than 100 yds , have harvested 80% of the PS buck for the last 20+ years? Do all those buck live and die within 100 yds of a road?

Then explain how those worthless lazy hunters managed to harvest enogh deer to match the total number of fawns recruited by 1.1 M OWD in 2003.

Now your final task is to explain why the buck harvest decreased by 30% from 2001 to 2003 while the herd was increasing.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:31 PM

Said before,

Any hunter that believes any numbers put out by the PGC, SEE A DOCTOR.

And you know which kind !!!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

DD I notice that you have completely avoided answering my question. Or did you just miss it?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:32 AM

Antlerless harvests arent a reliable indicator???? How do you back that up? And please cite a credible source, not your own "calculations"

Go to the PGC web site and read the article ,"countinh Deer" by Dr. Rosenberry. You will learn that the antlered buck harvest is the basis for estimating populations , not the naterless harvest. The 1984 Nov. issue of the PGN explains how the old population model works and the antlered harvest is the basis for calculating population estimates not the anterless harvest.

Antlered harvests are limited by the number of legal antlered buck available,while the anterless harvest is controlled mainly by the niumber of anterless tags allocated and the length of the anterless season. Even after the hunting season, there are still a lot more anterless deer available to be harvested , than there were legal antlered buck at the beginning of the season, so the anterless harvest is not limited by the number of anterless deer available.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Using methods from 20 years ago is what got us here. Under the present circumstances, the antlerless kill is very relevant. It only stands to reason that if too many does are being killed, eventually the doe kill will crash.

Like I said before, we've been hearing that too many does are being killed as long as I can remember. So long as the kill numbers dont crash your just crying wolf. If they ever do, its very fixable in just a year or two considering the reproductive capability of the whitetailed deer

Quick Reply: GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.