Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

Old 12-31-2004, 08:14 PM

Default RE: GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

just a question dose anyone know who is going to take on this task? and how are they selecting the lucky fellow? boy i do feel bad for him alt left him waste high in *******

i like everything alt had done except allowing 3 doe tags. i mean you get 2 guys that know how to hunt stategame lands good, between the two they kill their 6 deer. which means that they acutally got rid of 18 deer for next years hunters.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:48 PM

heck, Alt giving out 3 does tags for everyone WAS the deer plan.
The only thing he put AR in place for was because everybody said that with liberal doe tags there would be less of everything in the smaller herd. And although he origionlly opposed AR he used it as a carrot to get hunters to take those 3 doe. He is the one who said if you shoot the does you will have "more and bigger bucks" which as we see is a farce. You'll harvest the same old bucks, just a lot less of 'em.

Other than concurrent seasons and early ML, he did little that any other career bureaucrat couldn't put in place. I mean the commission pretty much gave him carte blanche, yet he never delivered half of what he promised.

Heck, any PGC staffer could step in and promise a lot, yet deliver little.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why would you say that when the PGC has said that the harvest of 352K anterless didn't reduce the herd and the 2003 harvest of 323K anterless only kept the herd stable? Why would the PGC reduce anterless allocations if after two years of 1M anterless tags and two years of record anterless harvests the PGC is still claiming we have had zero HR?
Why would I say that? Cmon! Everyone realizes that sooner or later, HR will have an effect. If, as I think you're implying HR has already had a real effect, then we'll see a drop in doe harvest numbers. We've all heard claims for years (since the first bonus tags came out) that the doe are being wiped out yet the kill numbers continue to indicate otherwise. Sooner or later, the kill will drop or level off and at that point antlerless tags will have to be cut.
We've been hearing that the sky is falling for so long from the Unified/Slinsky/Karl Power types that it rings hollow.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alt didnt oppose AR, He did back off at first till the doe allocations were raised but AR was always in his game plan.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what the funny thing is? Even though Alt did give out 1 million doe tags this year, doesn't mean everyone had to shoot every deer they had a tag for. I mean c'mon, next year everyone only purchase one antlerless tag.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

[quote]I agree it is going to get much worse! Those without private land connections in the next few years will have no place worth buying a hunting lisc. to hunt on. This is at a time when hunter recruitment already is at a low point.
God bless what is left of the wildlife in Pa, if it wasn't for the turkeys( thanks to the NWTF and the elk RMEF) I can't think of a single animal that the PGC has managed well by themselves here in the last 20 yrs. [/quotel

AMEN to that!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Only buying 1 doe tag won't fly here while tags remain so plentiful, why? 'cause as long as you have kids with the mentality to post 1 1/2 yr old doe pics to boast about you'll have the same wannabe types claiming I got itchy fingers to , if I kill a few more doe there'll be MonsterBucks for the club filling the void....fool's logic promoted by the food plot crowd
Old 01-01-2005, 06:45 AM

Why would I say that? Cmon! Everyone realizes that sooner or later, HR will have an effect.
But the PGC is saying that there hasn't been any herd reduction ,yet hunters are reporting they are seeing the effects already.

If, as I think you're implying HR has already had a real effect, then we'll see a drop in doe harvest numbers.

Even if the OW herd is reduced to 750K, from the current 1.1M, there will still be approx. 750K anterless deer in the PS populations , so the anterless harvests may remain relatively high if the PGC continues the high anterless allocations. Anterless harvests are not a reiable indicator of the number of deer present.

We've all heard claims for years (since the first bonus tags came out) that the doe are being wiped out yet the kill numbers continue to indicate otherwise
Where the bonus tags were effective in reducing the herd as in 2 G, the harvests have dropped dramatically, but the PGC has not reduced doe tag allocations. harvests have increased where the herd has continued to grow , but where HR was effective harvests are down significantly.

Sooner or later, the kill will drop or level off and at that point antlerless tags will have to be cut.
They could reduce anterlesss tags by 300K this year and there would still be more than enough to produce a harvest that would reduce the OWDD even more.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Host of Hosts

Although I didn't like Gary Alt's doe management plans, I liked the AR's. One thing you guys are forgetting is that Gary Alt wasn't the ONLY PGC official implementing these changes. There are others in the PGC you should be angry with. Gary Alt did a fantastic job with the Black Bear program in Pa. And you guys seem to want to put all the blame on Gary Alt for the Whitetail program.He is one of the top Biologist in the country. And that you can't take away from him. Alt was approached by the head honchos at the PGC to run a program that he knew was a hot potato and he did it anyway. Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, I've done it myself, but to think anyone else out there could have done any better is dishonest. Alt was in a job that he would take heat no matter what he did. He could never satisfy every hunter in Pa. It took alot of guts to accept the job to begin with. Now everyone is calling him names and thinking now the "old ways" of Pa deer hunting will return. Not gonna happen folks. I don't want you get get the wrong impression that I am in agreement with Alts plans, I wasn't, but I am going to try an look at it honestly.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:33 AM

I look at it honestly too but why doesn't the PGC? We hunters were told on several occassions by Dr. alt and the PGC that once a WMU had significant HR the doe tag allocations in that WMU would be cut. While some were cut it was a token effort at best.
The PGC still operates with too large of WMU they even admit that. Why hasn't the original plan of smaller boundry lines for all WMU been set forth?
the fact is they can not manage them, the reson is the APPOINTED board members can't manage much, other than try to keep Rendell from reappointing someone else with recreation in mind rather than hunting.

Quick Reply: GREAT DAY FOR SPORTSMEN OF PA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.