Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA bucks sheding the horns yet?

Old 12-25-2004, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default PA bucks sheding the horns yet?

has anyone seen any bucks that have dropped their horns already or are most of the bucks still donning their racks? I still have a buck tag (like so many other guys, THANKS TO MR ALT) and would give the late bow season a shot. If most of the bucks have dropped their horns than I'm staying home.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA bucks sheding the horns yet?

Very few I heard of, I seen a buck this morning. But mine fell off this morning in the shower
Old 12-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had a 4 point half rack under my toes this evening. If the other half was similar he'll be a good one next year!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yesterday, we did a drive for a buddy that has an essentially dead leg from the thigh down in area 2B. We put three out to him. One was a high wide 10 pt. The second was a very high spike and the third had no horns. He shot the third, thinking it was a doe and it turned out to be a 1.5 shed buck. Based on the pedicels it didnt appear that he had much of a rack (at least not much mass)

Never like to see a shed buck get killed for a doe but was glad to help my buddy get the first deer he's gotten in a few years

Looks like they're starting to drop.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 AM

i say poop ive been goin in late archyry hope the one that has my name on it hasnt lost it horns yet
ty alt worst sesone i have ever seen in 3c
Old 01-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen the same thing. My uncle took what he thought was a doe last week and it turns out it was a small buck that had dropped his horns already.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

The good news is that the big guys seem to still be packin horns

Obviously, its a hormonal thing. I've read and heard that as long as there are does coming into estrous, bucks will have horns. I also believe I saw where the dominant bucks are often the last to shed.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 PM

BT....The dominant bucks are the FIRST to shed, not the last.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have a source to back that up? Not disputing you but it is the opposite of what I've heard. Id argue if I was sure of my source but I'm not. I will say that most of the shed bucks I've seen early on were young ones but I'm sure nutrition and genetics come into play here.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Spike

BT
Some mature bucks shed early some late and some yearlings shed in dec and some in april. The deers health and hormones have a lot to do with when they shed but the older bucks are more likely to shed earlier.
Jan 15th was my first last year. from a 2 1/2 yr old

Quick Reply: PA bucks sheding the horns yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.