Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA bucks sheding the horns yet?

Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA bucks sheding the horns yet?

I believe it's more about the individual deer's testosterone levels. The idea I've heard, and it makes some sense, is that a dominant buck just wont give up so long as there is a doe around to be bred. A buck still capable of breeding still has elevated testosterone levels and is likely to still have antlers.

I cant honestly say where I got this. If anyone knows of any scientific eveidence to either prove or disprove this theory, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Different deer shed at different times....doesn't matter if they're mature or not. Find the website for the Double Diamond Deer Ranch....they have one buck that always sheds last and another that always sheds first if memory serves. I reallize it's not a scientific definate, but it's worth looking at.

BTW, a friend shot a shed buck on Saturday with his muzzleloader....said the pedicles were about an inch in diameter. He said it was an average sized deer for a buck, but when he shot it it was with some does and was the biggest mature "doe" in the group.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Spike

genetics plays a part also. Some people who have penned deer say that certain bucks will shed the same day from year to year. But they are seperated from does and they are given a constant year round food source and arent allowed to run does all over the countryside all fall either like wild deer
My favorite time to look for sheds is when there has been about 4-8 inches of snow on the ground for 2-3 weeks in the end of february with no new snow on top. Those antlers just sit right on top of the snow. When it melts a little in the day then refreezes at night the antlers just sit right on top of the snow. plus if u don't see any deer tracks somewhere u don't have to spend the time looking there.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 7 years ago, on the opening day of PA doe season in Warren Co., I took what probably would have been my biggest buck to date. He had already shed both sides and was yarded up in a hemlock thicket with a herd of about 10 does.

You figure, that would have been the third monday after thanksgiving, around mid-December. He had really large bases, and his neck was still obviously swollen. He still smelled really musty, but his antlers were long gone.

I thought I'd killed some world-record doe, but came to find out that my doe was the biggest buck I've ever shot. Always wonder what his antlers would've looked like...