Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Alt Don't let the door hit you in the...........

Old 12-27-2004, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Alt Don't let the door hit you in the...........

Nope, sorry thats just silly.

You said the answer to the problem. "have the pgc lower the allotments"

Because having hunters willy nilly managing on thier own is no way to do wildlife mgmt. As I said, then just abolish the PGC if we are to do it on our own....

No, holding the PGC accountable for the job they are paid to do is THE ANSWER. Anything else is a cop out.

We DON'T want regions of hunters holding off on does and having areas get overpopulated once again, and other areas the hunters are feeling they can shoot away only to overharvest and cause problems.

The system of the PGC issuing enough tags to either increase, stabilize or decrease the herd WORKED FOR OVER A 100 YEARS in pa. And no way am I in favor of having a bunch of hunters trying to self regulate on herd size on thier own perceptions.

IF you disagree with the PGC overharvesting and reducing your herd then stop falsely blameing fellow hunters and trying to misplace the accountability for the problem.

There are 8 men and women who hold the reins of deer managment in pa and DO CONTROL the harvest thru tag allotments, and they meet on Elmerton Avenue in Harrisburg in the PGC HQ's.

you go visit them and hold THEM accountable.

Jan 23, 24 ,25

Write, attend, or get out of the way.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are getting carried away here. I am in no way saying that the PGC should be elimated and hunters should be solely self regulated. The fact of the matter is hunters have been self rugulating themselves for many years now. Do you remember when doe tags could oly be gotten if you knew someone. Or when doe tags were sold to local gun clubs who would buy them and not use them.

What's wrong with useing discression in your hunting area if deer sightings are lower than desirable? Correct me if I'm wrong there are many steps to any management program. One of them is planning and one of them is execution. Do you think it's at all possible the PGC's herd numbers are off in some areas from year to year?? I think the PGC has been grossly off with the allotment of tags. So if planning from afar is off should we compound the problem on the local level??
Old 12-27-2004, 05:34 PM

An individual hunter can only regulate his own actions. A hunter that has hunted many years and has harvested many deer will have more knoledge self control than someone that never harvested a deer. Some of us live where we hunt and know what the population is in our area. Others drive hundreds of miles from their homes in the cities to hunt 2 or 3 days in the big woods and rely on the PGC to tell themif there are too many deeer where they hunt. If they get an anterless tag they assume their are too many deer and will shoot the first one tha comes along.

With 1 M hunters from extremely diverse backgrounds with vary levels of knowledge and experience ,it is simply not realistic to expect individual hunters to manage the anterless harvest.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

You guys are getting carried away here. I am in no way saying that the PGC should be elimated and hunters should be solely self regulated. The fact of the matter is hunters have been self rugulating themselves for many years now. Do you remember when doe tags could oly be gotten if you knew someone. Or when doe tags were sold to local gun clubs who would buy them and not use them.

What's wrong with useing discression in your hunting area if deer sightings are lower than desirable? Correct me if I'm wrong there are many steps to any management program. One of them is planning and one of them is execution. Do you think it's at all possible the PGC's herd numbers are off in some areas from year to year?? I think the PGC has been grossly off with the allotment of tags. So if planning from afar is off should we compound the problem on the local level??

No. Sorry but I can't buy your excuses for not holding the PGC accountable.

And I won't even delve into your "remember when" fallacies.

"Do you think it's at all possible the PGC's herd numbers are off in some areas from year to year?? " I don't think they are far off in their estimates. I believe the PGC has pretty good staff and numbers. Its the spin they put on those numbers that is questionable. But the staff has chosen grossly large obese WMU's which lead to problems. Go to the PGC and suggest better management based on smaller WMU's and maybe you would have a leg to stand on. Thier leadership direction and goals I do not agree with. And I work to address those at the meetings and at my local club.

"I think the PGC has been grossly off with the allotment of tags. " THEN ADDRESS THAT ISSUE AND STOP TRYING TO MISPLACE ACCOUNTABILITY ONTO HUNTERS WHO ARE JUST DOING WHAT THE PGC ASKED. Your trying to apply a bandaid instead of treating the root cause. FIX THE PROBLEM, stop trying to take the easy way out an slap on multiple bandaids.

As Happy hunter so expertly pointed out, we do not want hunters managing thier local areas based on hunter myths and individuals cannot manage anything in context with the larger picture of the whole state. We want the PGC to mangage, with input from hunters, with unbiased science from biologists (not environmental extremists in the PGC and DCNR). Hunters trying to manage alone, in a vacum is not the answer.

Hunters will always think the herd reduction needs to be done "OVER THERE IN THAT GUYS COUNTY", not mine.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Chickory: I know this for certain, I am more able to manage my hunting area than the PGC can from Elmerton Ave. and I am doing that right now! We local hicks up here in 3A have posted EVERY piece of ground we can get our hands on. Agreed to no doe hunting for the next 1 yr then possibly agree to another year. to raise deer numbers. Why should we care if 5C has too many deer, or if 2B hunters want a big buck an no doe? fact is if you asked 90% of all hunters where a certain WMU is other than where they live or hunt they wouldn't have a clue.

What ALL hunters should be planning on doing is asking the PGC how they are going to keep more private landowners from posting their lands in defiance of the PGC's current deer management goals! The PGC has ALWAYS stated that it is the private landowner that grants trespass whom have kept hunting available to the hordes, not the Gamelands,ANF noe the State Forests
Old 12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chickory, I guess I overestimate the ability of individuals to have common sense. I agree and have never said any differently concerning the PGC's over allotment of tags and mismanagement of large WMU's. I agree we need to get the PGC to change. What do we do if they don't change?? Blindly follow or think for ourselves?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:01 PM

i am haooy alt is gone i like the ar we now have .
doe pop isnt that great in 3c they want big racks but if you kill off
the does who is going to carry the button bucks the will grow into big for when they get killed other bucks?
I hope alt has a happy ret and trys to do some hunting in pa
I think our bigger concern should be anti hunters and posted prop
tery

happy hunting alll
Old 12-29-2004, 04:31 PM

CHICKORY, I just hope that there will be huntable numbers of deer in PA for those first time hunters,eagerly waiting to harvest their first deer this next deer season. If my letting one walk,to let more for those first time hunters ,i will.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:59 PM

hey, more power to ya.

If you quit all together and harvest no deer, buck or doe, then there will Reeeeeally be more for youth to take.

Save yourself the $20 and retire from hunting and your whole plan is foolproof !!!

hehehe......
Old 12-29-2004, 08:10 PM

2B hunters want a big buck an no doe?
Where do you get these ideas from? I guess that's why there's only 2,000 doe tags left out of 68,000.

Quick Reply: Alt Don't let the door hit you in the...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.