Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Old 12-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Thank you, Dr Alt for getting Pennsylvania started down the road toward proper management of the deer herd. You managed to accomplish the impossible. You managed to convince a state that was steeped in tradition to take a chance on a radical new strategy. Most hunters seem to be glad you did. Of course, you can't please everyone as you well know but most of us appreciate the efforts you made.

We trust that whoever is chosen to fill your shoes will continue to have the courage to do the right thing.

Guys, lets take any post to this thread as a show of support for Gary Alts work. If you agree with what he accomplished post it here. If you dont, start your own.

A post here is a show of support!
Lets make this a 50 page thread!!
Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Nice try BTB ,but this is the internet and you don't get to control who replies to your post.

Alt spent the past 4 years misleading and deceiving the hunters of PA. He was appointed to reduce the herd by 50% , but claims that we have 1.6 M PS deer ,over 100,000 more than when he was appointed. But , he even lied about that because the herd has been decreased by 40% in just 4 years according to the old computer model.

Alt has succeeded i undermining the credibility of the PGC and has created a terrible mess that his replacement will have to cleanup by repealing AR and decreasing anterless allocations.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I realize I cant control who posts. It was simply a request that common courtesy would have honored.
I should've guessed you'd be among the first not to exercise same.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 PM

So I spoiled your little love fest where you only wanted glowing priase for a man that spent four years lying to the hunters of PA? Needless to say I am not sorry, since I truly believe Alt had no regard or respect for the hnters of PA and deserves no courtesy or praise.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM

Best wishes to Gary Alt on your retirement. Thank you for putting us on the right track.

On a side note I'd like to nominate Ulysess and Deaddear as the next Deer Management Supervisors. Since their knowledge is greater than any and Deaddear can twist the numbers with the best of them. Then they can shoot all the spikes and button bucks they want and let the does eat everything else.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully the legacy will live on. yea he may not have been perfect, but what we had in PA was even worse. I hope they don't cave in to pressures regarding the antler restrictions. Best wishes Gary, you had the toughest job in the state.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Obviously a buck harvest in 2003 of 142k was much better than a buck harvest of 203K in 2000!!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I support his work. I know that every area isn't what it could be in terms of hunting opportunity. As a whole, I think the herd is better off now than previously. Dr. Alt took a job that nobody in their right mind would want. The hardest thing to achieve is a change in traditions. Even he could not have everything that he wanted. I am sure that he was forced to cave to special interests on some level. That is the way it works in this country, all the way to the White House as a matter of fact. The truly brave will still wade willingly into this quagmire in the hope of achieving some good on some level. Gary did that. Is there more to do? YES. The challenge now is to fine tune the program so that lacking areas are brought up in terms of herd quality, hunting opportunity, etc. The real test is in the mind of todays hunters. We need to change our mindset from shortsighted success and present gratifications to a more longterm attitude of what is best for the resource. I am sorry to hear he is leaving for the fact that he will never be truly given the credit for the successes. The credit for what he started will land on someone elses arm when things are finally brought to fruition. There is so much good that we can achieve with the deer herd and I believe we have only brushed the dust of old ways off the surface.
As hunters, let's unite and tell the GC what we want (being unselfish) to come of the future of deer hunting in PA.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, when the fires die down, I think he will be given much credit!
He stepped into the pile of doo doo that was conventional deer management and it seems many are following his example. It may take awhile, but I bet history will treat him very well.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.