Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Big Way : All those drops I've cleaned out over the last 70 yrs has at the very least taught me to tell the difference in truth an crap!
Oh wise one tell me what did we use before the vet came to call with their syringes full of straws. Unless I'm too oldto remember female/malerelations have been around a might longer than syringes full of the best straws of semen you can afford (and I ani't THAT old)
I male be it deer,bovine,pheasants,or PEOPLE is capable of breeding all the females they come in contact with....
Hence if you have a food shortage cut back on the males and let THE male breed the femaleS
you got to spend a few more years shoveling the drops before you can try to make a fool of this old silage feeder!
Old 12-22-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

kill a button buck and let the doe have twins. Wow that might just be the dumbest thing i have heard in a long time. Why for all 15lbs of meat or the trophy? Go to the grocery store and let the button buck walk.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

why not let all the does walk an just hunt trophy bucks, I seriously doubt anyone in today's world needs venison to live on
Old 12-22-2004, 07:07 AM

All those drops I've cleaned out over the last 70 yrs has at the very least taught me to tell the difference in truth an crap!
What a dangerous combination... old men and the internet.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

might be as we got the time an knowledge to actually know what we're talking about.
Who you calling old anyway! I still run this 600 acre farm by myself, and if I wasn't recouperating from surgery I won't be sitting in this darn house watching the work pile up.
Besides somebody got to keep you youngins from falling for all the lies the PGC is trying to pass off or in < 10 yrs there won't be hunting as we know it.
OOOPS! wait a sec. I see a nice butter fat Button Buck down by the orchard. Better get my gun an kill it before it eats another mouthful of browse meant for a big doe.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

OOOPS! wait a sec. I see a nice butter fat Button Buck down by the orchard. Better get my gun an kill it before it eats another mouthful of browse meant for a big doe.
Just about says it all in terms of where you're coming from.[:'(]
Old 12-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

BT you just can't quite get the fact that there are people with other needs than to hunt for horns can you?
I'm not saying that I won't kill a rack buck ever again, why should next year be any differnt than everyother year since I was a kid? But If given a choice in letting a big breeding class doe walk to bear a couple fawns next May or killing a BB that's only going to eat food that doe needs I'll bust a cap on that BB every time.
Don't dismiss my method there's never been a shortage of mature bucks around here. But does are getting sparse.
**** Tell you what I'll do Bob you drive up here after the first of the year. I'll meet you face to face if I think you're sensible enough I'll grant you permission to hunt my place. Let you come an go as you please but no doe killings, you can hunt all the horns your heart desires. Then you got to tell me how killing these BB has hurt your chances. I can't be fairer than that can I be?U
Old 12-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the PGC news relase announcing his retirement:

Dr. Alt has received numerous honors and awards recognizing his professional achievements. Among the awards are an Honorary Doctor of Science degree from Wilkes University; Pennsylvania Wildlife Federation's Pennsylvania Outstanding Conservation Professional; an Alumni Fellow Award from the Penn State University Alumni Association; the Pennsylvania Forestry Association's Roe S. Cochran Award for natural resource education; the Pennsylvania Wildlife Federation's and Audubon Pennsylvania's first-ever Lenny Green/Inky Moore Conservation Educator Award, which was sponsored by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission; a Northeast Environmental Partnership Award from the Pennsylvania Environmental Council, for his efforts to conserve and protect the environment; Outdoor Life magazine's Public Service Conservation Award for his work in deer management; and Safari Club International's Conservation Award, the highest recognition an individual can receive from SCI for service in the field of wildlife conservation and hunters' rights.

In 2003, Dr. Alt was awarded the Quality Deer Management Association's Professional Deer Manager of the Year Award, which recognizes the professional biologist or manager who, in their position, has done the most to promote the principles and practices of quality deer management.

So DD get out your calculator and find a way to discredit QDMA's,SCI's, Outdoor Life and all the others decision to honor Gary Alts work.

Ulysses, Maybe in your vast 70+ years of experience as a hog farmer/ land baron/lawyer/expert hunter you can shed some light on how Doctor Gary managed to snooker all these folks as well a a majority of the hunters of this state.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:16 AM

Could you tell everyone what Alt accomplished to deserve those awards? The buck harvet decreased by 30% and the herd increased by 20 % since he took over!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Could you tell everyone what Alt accomplished to deserve those awards? The buck harvet decreased by 30% and the herd increased by 20 % since he took over!!!

You'd have to ask each organization what each individual award is for. Or are you implying that they gave em out like John Kerry purple hearts?

Funny, I seem to recall somewhere in these threads, in the last few days, that you just claimed the deer herd is down 40%. Is there an imposter using your member name?

Quick Reply: Thank you Gary Alt! Best wishes in your retirement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.